Last Updated: 03-17-2009
Several friends told me that I needed to cosplay her. I thought her outfit was cute, and once I sat down to watch Soul Eater, I quickly decided Iíd go ahead with the costume to join the group at Auchinawa. Polka dots! Cute mouth-dot-dimple things! And that HAT!
The dress was a similar style to my Anemone one, and gave me the chance to not make the same mistakes again, so I patterned it out rather differently this time round. I went with a seam at the waist, and the skirt constructed from several flared panels, giving it a much more even circular hem. I used the same basic Butterick dress pattern to make the bodice part, and easily patterned out the skirt myself using the power of mathematics. Thereís an invisible zip down the back, and I used the same approach of hoopsteel in the hem. The fabric is black polyester twill, the skirtís constructed with French seams, and every other raw edge is overlocked. Iím pleased with the construction and how the shape turned out this time!
For the sleeves, I bought a grey stretchy top which is sewn to the dress. I also bought the black leggings. The grey scalloped trim at the hem was made from fabric from a pair of leggings which matched the top Iíd bought! I just couldnít find any other fabric to match. It was a nuisance to line all the scallops, but simple enough when I interfaced the stretchy fabric first. I did consider lining the entire skirt/dress in the same grey, or making an underskirt, but decided it was pointless for something that would rarely show, and Iíd also had so much trouble finding fabric in the right shade of grey.
The white spots werenít as bad as I expected. I didnít want to paint them on, since Iím not a fan of painting, so I settled on some form of appliquť. There was no way I wanted to stitch round the edges of all those spots though, and getting circles precisely circular was going to be a pain. I decided on using Bondaweb, but I didnít want to use a fabric that might fray, since I didnít want to have to do any edges finishes. So I chose felt. Cutting out the circles didnít end up being too bad, I used a craft knife and a tub that was the right size to cut round. Then it was just a matter of arranging all the circles over the dress, and ironing them on.
The hat was essentially made of trial and error. I used a witch hat from a pound shop for the base (convenient I was making this around Halloween time), which gave a basic shape to build off, and somewhat helps it to balance on my head. I covered it in wadding, and sewed a fabric cover. The droopy end is also padded out. The face is more wadding, hot glued in place to try and form the features, the eyes are polystyrene balls, and the rest is fabric pen. Itís not too easy to wear, and I didnít really manage to shape the face as I had envisaged, but itís ok.
The wig is from cosplaywig on eBay, itís an unusual blend of blue, white and bizarrely, purple, but I like it enough. It had a lot of uneven waves and kinks in it when I got it, so it was thoroughly straightened, the fringe trimmed, and the rest cut a little too. For once, blunt ends to the hair is acceptable. It feels like the worst cutting job Iíve ever done, but it was deliberate!
I wore boots I already had. Ideally Iíd like a more accurate shape - pointed toes, and a tapered heel, but I was happy to use a pair I already owned and which were comfy. Finally, the dots by my mouth are eyeliner, which stayed on fine.
Please log in or register to view comments.