Imperishable Night Outfit
Last Updated: 04-15-2009
This entire costume was done on a whim to go with an Anon's. I didn't think that I'd be wearing the same thing throughout the entire convention, so I made all parts elasticized so that I could take turns wearing it with my friends at the con.
Parts and Cost Breakdown:
Bonnet - $22 for raw materials, 3 hours for construction
- I made the bonnet from the Butterick 5299 pattern with Casa crepe satin. Instead of a yard of elastic, I only put in 21 inches so that it'd fit snugly over my head and wig. The bow is made from my own custom pattern and safety pinned to the bonnet for ease of use (sewing to elastic messes up the stretching mechanism). It might not look like it, but the bonnet ate up two entire yards of ruffles.
Wig - $28, several hours for styling and dyeing
- I bought the wig from the Cosplay.com Marketplace. It was originally blonde and bangless, so I Sharpie dyed the wig pale blue and styled bangs into it. Not too bad for my first dye job. Nevertheless, pale wig colors don't work with my skin tone...
Blouse - $27 for raw materials, 3 days for construction
- The most difficult part of the whole costume was the collar, which I altered from the original given in Butterick 4985 pattern. That part took me a full day to construct. The blouse is made of Casa crepe satin. The strange curvature for the buttons down the front also took a night to slowly manually stitch and get them to perfectly functional. I omitted the lower half of the original pattern and simply elongated the upper half by three inches and put in elastic around the bottom to make it snug against my waist. Since the pattern was meant for women, the lengthening gave it the perfect lumpy ZUN art look on me.
Bracelet - $5 for raw materials, several hours for construction
- Fully elasticated, stretchable up to 11 inches around. Of course, my wrist is only 5.25 inches around.
Wings - $10
- A toughie. You can't see it, but they are constructed of foam boards, painted, then attached to my blouse by snaps and through slits.
Skirt - $19 for raw materials, 1 day for construction
- The skirt was the easiest part of the whole costume. It only took one day to complete. I modified the Butterick 5330 pattern for it and use Casa crepe satin. Instead of two pieces, I turned it into four smaller ones and made the waist about 30 inches smaller (the original had 70 inches). Nevertheless, the skirt can still stretch to fit up to 40".
Petticoat - $40 from Victorian Maiden
- You can't see it in my photos, but the volume underneath the skirt is given by this beautiful petticoat that I got from Victorian Maiden for my classic lolita closet. It gives the perfect poof (more volume on the back than in the front) and doesn't deflate at all.
Bloomers - $11 for raw materials, several hours for construction
- Yet another item that you can't see, but as you may be aware, nearly all Touhou girls wear bloomers, so I'm wearing a pair for accuracy's sake. I think you might be able to catch a sight of them if I spun really fast or lifted my skirt to curtsy.
Socks - $2 from Kohl's, $2 for raw materials
- Basic lacy children's socks bought from Kohl's a long time ago for my classic lolita wardrobe. The bows are safety pinned onto the socks.
Shoes - $3 from Goodwill
- These shoes will work great on the dance floor. I still need to break them in, though.
Raw material specifically bought for the costume - $52 + $13 + $8
Three patterns, one for the bonnet, one for the blouse, one for the skirt. I decided to make the costume look nice and picked out crepe Casa satin, which was $28 for three yards. Basic red twill for the bows. 7/8" satin ribbon in red and white. 2 packets of round white buttons. 24" inches of elastic for the skirt, 32" for the blouse bottom, 24" for both sleeves, and more for the bonnet. Pink and red thread. I had to get seven and a half yards of the ruffle trim, which cost me $22.50. D:
Please log in or register to view comments.