Tales of Symphonia
Last Updated: 06-16-2011
I made this from stretch twill because I hate sewing on knit fabrics! The twill works well without feeling gross/too clingy and I was able to stitch my fabulous trim detail on it with no problems. I was worried about my figure but seeing as Yggdrasill's hips don't lie, I probably could've used spandex in the end.
The gold is called "liquid gold" lamé. It is quite disco-licious and obnoxiously shiny, yet sooo pretty. I bought it from Hancock Fabrics and absolutely loved working with it. You can iron it on low heat, use a dab of Elmers glue to keep edges turned under and in place and wipe off any glue that oozes through which brings the fabric back to its original shine. Pretty flippin sweet.
Not a whole lot to say about the jumpsuit itself, aside from how I don't seem to learn or remember that no matter how "perfect" a men's pattern looks, it is never going to fit right. I made this using an Elvis jumpsuit pattern from Simplicity cutting pieces to the smallest size possible. It was still way too large. I actually ended up making my own jumpsuit pattern and trimming it out of the original pieces. In total I think I easily shaved off 4" off each side. These men's patterns never fit yet I still think maybe I am fatter than I usually am and will fill out said costume, but no, it does not work that way.
As for actual construction, the jumpsuit has a keyhole front and back. I hid a back zip and attached some hooks and eyes at the neck so it will stay put. Originally I decided I would do open chest binding and left the front alone. Then convenience spoke words of wisdom to me and I bought nude swim/skate fabric to fill the front opening and also provide something to attach the Cruxis crystal (aka People Bling) to. The fabric did match my skin until I managed to get sunburned outside prior to Otakon. I don't think I will bother trying to change the color as my skin tone will return to where it was and match again at some point. The back I left open so I could wear the wing harness.
The wings are 2 layers of cellophane (pink and aurore borealis) over wire. This is probably one of the more ghetto wing rigs ever but it worked and as Symphonia wings are quite unlike other "angel wings", I had to get creative. I used laminate for a base, drilled curved plumbing pipe to it, the pushed the wires from the wing ends into sheetrock anchors and glued them into the pipe. I made a backpack for the laminate base with straps.
It's a fairly simple costume save for the wings, but for some reason I started it in 2005, put it in a bag, cut up the original for another costume, and restarted this one you see here. I like this version better anyway, the liquid lamé just sets my heart all a'flutter it's so crazy.
I made shoe covers to go over some slip on shoes. They are made from stretch twill and the liquid lamé and are glued in place. They will be my disco shoes forever.
Please log in or register to view comments.