I am so happy that I actually got this costume done. It was a really big undertaking, but I am so happy with how it turned out. These are all the parts of the costume and a breif decription:
1. Shoe: Black platforms hand painted to look like rocks. W/craft foam rocks to cover the buckles.
2. Pant: Dyed cotton twill material, hand painted to look like rocks.
3. Shirt: I dyed a cotton shirt material, drafted the pattern from another shirt, and painted on the eyes and nose.
4. Hair Ties: Covered two hair ties with the balls on the end with model magic, then painted them.
5. Back Pack: Was a bag I already had that I covered in brown material. Also made a slot in the flap for the umbrella.
6. Golf Umbrella: I drill holes in the handle, then inserted melt rods cover it in cardboard, add a layer of foam(padding for my back), and finally it was covered in brown pleather. It fits snuggly in the back pack.
7. Cover: There is a channel sewn into it so I can insert 4 metal rods bent into curves. The cover goes over the Umbrella and ties on the spokes with ribbon.
8. Diglett Cover: Over the 1st cover goes the diglett. There are nine gromets sewn in to the bottom for the ring of rocks. I can see out of the eye which are just a lite weight cotton. The nose is red material stuffed then hand sewn on to the front. The material is a heavy out door cotton that is dyed.
9. Rock Ring: It is made out of cardboard and hotglue, covered with balloons then papermache. The ring is 3 interlocking parts, that come together with wing nuts and bolts. It hooks onto the gromets w/hook made from hanger wire. I have to hold the ring with straps because the weight of it is to much for the umbrella.
10. Rock Covers: Made from paper mache, they slip over the areas were wing nuts are. Rocks were primered and then painted with spray paint.
Side Notes: I'm not sure how much the whole thing weighs but I can't wear it for to long. It take at least 3 people to put together. It is really hot under it. I can go up escaltors in it by lifting up the ring. And to take picture I kneel, I thought a 7 ft. Diglett might scare people. I'm only about 5ft tall and kneeling in the costume I'm about 5ft tall.
Anime Boston 2009
1st Placed Mater devision