Last Updated: 07-03-2009
I originally made this gown years ago, when the movie first came out. It was definitely the costume highlight of the movie for me. ^^ I made the gown before I really had any idea of how to make a gown historically accurate. (Surprisingly, making a gown historically accurate actually makes it easier to build and wear! At least, I think so. ^^;)
I decided to drag the gown out of storage and remake it. I took apart the entire polonaise, use the bodice pieces to cut out some canvas interlining, and then reassembled everything. I was absolutely astonished to find how much fabric I had put into the skirt...four panels of 45" wide fabric. O.O I had used stacked pleats the first time around to get the entire thing on to the bodice waist, but this time I went with cartridge pleating. A bit time consuming, but so worth the effort! I love the look it gives the skirt. :D
The underskirt was a pretty straightforward remake...I just took the waistband off, took out the gathering stitch, and then remade the waistline so it would be period correct, using Katherine's instructions (http://www.koshka-the-cat.com/18c_petticoat.html) and some wide double-fold bias tape I had on hand. I used the removed waistband to create the cuffs for the sleeves. All the lace and gold trim were from my fabric stash. ^^
Please log in or register to view comments.