Yellow Costume

Princess Tutu

Last Updated: 07-07-2009

This outfit, despite a few mishaps with paint and nearly ruining the shorts, came together fairly easily for me. I started with the shorts, which I made out of left over t-shirting cotton from Warrior Rikku that was originally white and I had dyed for Warrior Rikku. The colour it had been dyed happened to be perfect for Ahiru's shorts. I used a Kwiksew pattern (insert number here) hot hotpants, and just lengthened them slightly, while folding over the top hem and threading through some elastic to keep them up at the waist. The wings on either side were painted on with Dylon fabric paint.

The polo neck is made out of cream fleece, which I love to work with because it doesn't fray or shed or anything. Its lush! Again, another KwikSew(number) for this pattern. When making it, because I knew I would have to attach the yellow cuffs, I kept the arms open up to the elbow until the cuffs were made and sewn it. The cuffs themselves are the same material as the shorts. I drew the kind of feathery shape on some paper, before pinning it to the material, folded over twice. Cut out thxe shapes on the material and sewed around the edges. Then, ran the fleece and cuffs through my machine, to attach them to the sleeves. Once the cuffs were in place, the sleeves were sewn shut on the seam, and that was the top complete.

Next came the shoes, which, as I said before were a lucky find in Barretts (a UK shoe store). Originally they had a buckle over the front, so all they needed was a lick of paint and the buckle snipping off. The duck foot decorations are made from craft foam. The necklace was a cheap bronze chain from a cheap necklace, and fimo, moulded and varnished into the (approximate) right shape for the necklace. I had to shorten the chain as originally the necklace hung much too low.

Finally the wig, which caused me headaches to no end. I am not a natural wig styler. Really. The most my skills go to is putting some flicks into the back of my Xianghua wig. So this... was interesting and frustrating. However, after several hissy fits and my sisters having to calm me down, I managed to platt the hair so it wasn't too loose or too tight. The bangs I tried to style. Read: tried. I did not succeed very much though. ): The ahoge (standing up segment) is the DEVIL. After trying everything from wire, to hair gel, to hair spray to paper clips, I eventually opted to glue the hair down slightly, and curl it over, with some wire down at the base of the ahoge. When curled over, I leave it clipped to the wig cap, then proceeded to spray the hell out of it with Trésseme Freeze Hold. It works to a point, though still want to try and get it to stand up perfectly perpendicular.

Comments: 9

Please log in or register to view comments.


United Kingdom


Character Ahiru
Series Princess Tutu
Costume Views 856
Favorites 2
Comments 9
Upload Date 07-07-2009

Copyright 2002-2017 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.