Last Updated: 08-23-2009
THIS costume was an absolute nightmare to create.
I went through two attempts before I eventually settled on using pleather (which was seriously expensive).
The first attempt was made by cutting out pieces of craft foam, then sewing and gluing the individual pieces to a corset, which was strapped together with clear bra straps. I finished it, tried it on and it ripped in four different places and was absolutely impossible to move in. After spending lots of valuable time trying to fix it, I finally gave up and went to using a different medium: black fabric.
The fabric worked okay. It was comfortable and easier to climb in and out of, but it didn't have that armor feel to it. It just looked like I was wearing a scrappy black mini-dress. So, that was discarded as well.
Finally, I settled on sewing together pieces of black fabric in the style of the body armor, then hot gluing the strips of black pleather into sections. For the legs, I painted the designs directly onto the nylon bodysuit using a combination of acrylic/fabric paint, which ending up not working as well as I thought, as the paint ran and left black spots all over the nylon suit AND on my legs.
The Witchblade glove itself was made using an old baseball glove I found in my basement. The claws are made from pieces of craft foam, then hand painted and sprayed with gloss.
Shoes were easy; black pumps with craft foam. They broke 15 minutes after wearing them. I had to carry around a pair of black flats because the shoes were so ungodly uncomfortable.
I wore the actual blade on the first day but it was in the way too much and got on my nerves. It was just a piece of balsa wood cut into shape and spraypainted. It's now sitting in the back of my car and has been there, since, well...Otakon.
After wearing it for two days in 95 degree heat, the thing fell apart due to the friction of me walking and the sweat just pouring off of me. Parts on the front held together by fashion tape and velcro ripped...so next time I wear it, I'm going to utilize snaps instead of crappy stick on velcro.
Bra needs to be re-done and fastened to the midriff piece because my boobies kept popping out. I had to have my best friend on booby watch all day (it was a hard job, but he HAD to do it).
All in all, it was a pain in the ass, but it was extremely fun to wear and I received many positive comments on it, so I'm not going to retire it just yet. It just needs some tweaks and it should be more workable for next time. I actually was called out by an Otakon staffmonster because someone apparently said nonsense about it not being con appropriate and requested that I come do a costume check. I was actually on my way back to my room to change out of it anyway. The guy said he wasn't the one who had the problem, it was someone else who didn't want to come up and tell me directly. Should I ever find out who it was, I'll karate chop them in the neck for being a prude.
Please log in or register to view comments.