Samurai dress sphere
Final Fantasy X-2
Last Updated: 09-12-2009
I started with the kimono for this costume, and used a Simplicity pattern for this. Originally the pattern is a bit shorter than I wear it, but I altered it somewhat to keep it long. The kimono came together very easily, and was nice to make because I used red poly cotton. The sleeve were sewn on seperately and then lined with white bias binding. Likewise the green lining on the kimono is also green bias binding.
The obi belt is a length of blue poly cotton folded over and then lined with vilene to keep it stiff. I have two large snap fasteners attached to it so it does up. In addition the yellow belt is done tight enough to keep the belt up if it accidently comes undone. The boob tube is white cotton elastine. Its nice and stretchy, but its soft too. To make this I guessed some measurements around my bust and ribcage, and cut. I hemmed the top and bottom and to get the bangage effect, puckered the material inside the boobtube and sewed, so there were four seperate seams on the inside.
The skirt is made, again from poly cotton and using a Simplicity pattern, leaving an opening at the front, rather than sewing the entire seam up. It is lined with yellow bias binding. It stays up with the use of elastic in the waist band. :]
The helmet at all the armour is made from craaft foam. The helmet is three tiers, the first tier was built to join ing the middle and go snuggly around my head and wig. The second tier is slightly smaller coming to a stop just where my eyes stop. And the third tier is somewhat bigger, stopping where my mouth is. The tiers block off all periferal vision for me so its a bit tricky for me to see. The silver decoration and the amulets on the front of the obi belt and kimono are craft foam, reinforced with buckrum. And the leg and shoulder armour is craft foam, glued and then painted. I mixed black, purple and silver paint get to the dark mauve sheen seen in the referance picture, and painted each layer with a spounge to keep the out come smooth.
The leggings and headband are pale blue lyrca, just sewn with one seam up the back. The shoes were a pair of black and white flip flops, which were then painted black.
The sword I made in a week. Its made the same way as all my props, just with only 3 layers of paper maché. The gold detailing on the actual sword blade is gold acrylic painted craft foam, glued into place. And the sword actually stands taller than me. I'm really proud of it as a prop. Its definately the best one I've made so far! :D
Admittedly, this is not one of my best costumes. I made it in a fair short space of time; and was unhappy with the end result. I've only worn this for photos, and don't actually intend to wear it for a convention or event.
It did prove my armour making skills leave something to be desired.
Please log in or register to view comments.