Final Fantasy X
Last Updated: 11-15-2010
This Shelinda costume was made for a massive FFX and X-2 group Saturday of Otakon 2010.
This costume was my hardest yet, but I'm quite proud of it. I made everything but the microphone which was made by the lovely Cachalot here on coscom. She's awesome, and she's gerodere on deviantart where you can see more of her awesome prop work.
Anyways, the pants were made with a pajama pant pattern, the shirt was a modified shirt pattern, the shoes are from walmart, and I made the rest kind of freeform.
The red detailing on the sleeves was quite tedious. I started by attatching the base red material to the sleeve itself, then I cut rectangles out of the red fabric to be the stripes. These rectangles were then handsewed onto the red material, and before they were completly sewn on, they were stuffed with cotton filling to make them poof. I did this for all of the stripes going in the same direction. I then had to go back and do the process again for the stripes going in the other direction. However, I had to use smaller rectangles and carefully position them so they would line up correctly since I could not layer them ontop of the aleady stuffed rows. All of these were also handsewed on and stuffed with cotton filling. I messed up on the second sleeve when doing this and didn't have the same line pattern on both sleeves so I had to rip all of them out and start over.
The hat is a syrofoam base I had help cutting and forming the correct shape for. This was then covered in fosshape. I then covered this with the green fabric and added the yellow, white, and ribbon details.
The placard is made of a fosshape base, then covered in white fabric. Then I carefully added the blue rectangles. I then used a white ribbon for the lines up and down the placard and premade bows for the accent details. The yellow and orange circle is made of ribbon and the flower is an aplique. The Yevon symbol was handcut out of fabric, using a Yevon symbol printout as my guide and then handsewn onto the placard.
The yellow symbols got added right before AUSA 2010. They were a bit difficult because the fabric frayed a lot and I had never heard of fray check until Saturday evening of AUSA. Anyways, I took two pieces of the yellow fabric and elmers glued them together, smoothed them out and let them dry. Once dry, I carefully cut the pattern pieces out. Then, before I could sew them onto the costume(learned this through trial and error) I had to take a needle, and premake all the holes the thread would go through(my roommate was a massive help with this). I then used a smaller needle to sew the thread through. I only got 2 hours of sleep the day before AUSA and I was still sewing the yellow symbold on drive down and in the lobby after registering, but I finally got them. I feel a lot better about having the costume much more complete now.
Please log in or register to view comments.