Namco + Yoshioka design = a construction process filled with angry words.
1. Skirt panels: I didn't have fiber reactive dye for this project and wound up using watered down Jacquard fabric paint. After 20+ coats to get the colors the dark enough, the fabric was a little stiff, but I didn't need to use interfacing on those pieces so it worked out well. Over time the pieces have become softer again so they integrated nicely. The white designs on the skirt panels are satin appliqués, this took forever but it came out well. The gold trim is made from bridal satin and decorated with gold charms.
2. Pattern pieces drafted by be.
3. The costume base is white bridal satin, gold bridal satin trim, and blue sateen for detailing.
4. Used gold embroidery thread for zig zag stitching for thin gold detailing on the jacket.
5. Buckles and belt bling: How to make tutorial on my DA page http://fav.me/d2cfcze
Pieces were made from wood, sculpey, and vinyl tubing.
1st set: vinyl casing over nylon webbing with bias tape. Went to wash them and somehow the color bled all over the trim.
2nd set: vinyl belts, vinyl trim, 100% better.
7. Mace of power: The basic shapes were created from sanding down styrofoam covered in Model Magic. After wet sanding things smooth and assembling the pieces, I primed/taped off/and painted everything. Despite thinking foam for the core pieces would be light, this prop somehow ended up weighing around 8 lbs.
8. Shield: Made using foamboard, foamies, cardboard, beads, and upholstery tacks. This one is actually light.
9. Boots: 1st set: made from matching satin with the appliquéd pieces
2nd set: made from white vinyl for durability and better fit on a different set of boots. Reused appliquéd pieces.
10. Wig 1: Katsucon 2010 - when the costume wasn't finished nor was that the right wig, it is actually my Link wig.
Wig 2: Was completed in time for AnimeNEXT 2010 and resembles Crescendo's hair a lot more.
Wig 3: Styled in December 2011 after deciding Wig 2 was pretty pathetic. I think this is the best wig yet.
11. The cape was added for AnimeNEXT 2010. It is made from sateen with metallic gold trim at the bottom and gold braiding for the arches. Gold charms adorn each arch.
1st Place Craftsmanship - UBCon 2011