Namco + Yoshioka design = a construction process filled with angry words.
1. I didn't have fiber reactive dye for this project and wound up using watered down Jacquard fabric paint. After 20+ coats to get the colors the dark enough, the fabric was a little stiff, but I didn't need to use interfacing on those pieces so it worked out well. Over time the pieces have become softer again so they integrated nicely.
2. The white appliqués on the skirt panels took forever to make. However my machine is not great at zig zag stitches so I did not try to heat n' bond and zig zag the edges. They came out well though. I was pleased.
3. I used more bridal satin to make the gold trim and mitered the crap out of it. Again, a painstaking process but the payoff was great.
4. I did convince my machine to do a little zig zagging and it was my first stab at "embroidering" with metallic gold thread. It snapped a lot, I was not happy but the end result was worth it.
5. The belts:
Buckles and belt bling: made from wood. The weird belt bling thing is made from wood, sculpey, and vinyl tubing.
1st set: vinyl casing over nylon webbing with bias tape. Katsucon 2010 to 2011. Went to wash them and somehow the color bled all over the trim.
2nd set: vinyl belts, vinyl trim.
6. Mace of power: This was actually the first piece I worked on. The basic shapes were created from sanding down styrofoam and covering them with Model Magic. After wet sanding things smooth and assembling the pieces, I primed/taped off/and painted everything. Despite thinking foam for the core pieces would be light, this prop somehow ended up weighing around 8 lbs.
8. Shield: Made using foamboard, foamies, cardboard, beads, and upholstery tacks.
1st wig: Katsucon 2010 - when the costume wasn't finished nor was that the right wig, it is actually my Link wig.
Wig 2: Was completed in time for AnimeNEXT 2010 and resembles Crescendo's hair a lot more.
Wig 3: Styled in December 2011 after deciding Wig 2 was pretty pathetic. I think this is the best wig yet.
10. The cape was added for AnimeNEXT 2010 as well. It is made from sateen with metallic gold trim at the bottom and gold braiding for the arches. Gold charms adorn each arch.
Honorable mention - Katsucon 2010
1st Place Craftsmanship - UBCon 2011