Yuri Lowell

Tales of Vesperia

Last Updated: 06-13-2011

My friend Kei has remarked that durable things should be advertised as Garen-tested, since things around me tend to get broken, knocked over, and generally abused. This cosplay is one of my favourites, and as a result ends up being in a nearly constant state of repair. Luckily everything's washable...

Blastia wristcuff version 3-- craftfoam, modpodge, plastic shinies, bits of index card, magnet strips, gold spray paint. Made in two pieces, since it's much simpler that way. There's the blastia itself, which is the strip with the shinies in it, and a sort of undercuff that fastens magnetically. For this rendition, I found shinies that didn't have mirror-backs, so I drew little sigils on bits of index card and glued them underneath. I'm rather proud of myself. Also, it's bigger than the last one, so it actually fits properly, and the modpodge and paint method works better than anything I've found yet.

Shirt-- black cotton sheeting, white embroidery thread, purple quilters cotton, sweat, blood, and tears. The long and arduous tale of Yuri's shirt, and proof of my insanity. It had bad luck from the start: the in-progress first attempt was lost when I left my suitcase on a train, the second attempt failed miserably due to forgotten seam allowance, and the muslin mock-up for the third attempt lived at the bottom of my school bag for over a month because I was too busy to look at it. Then I nearly died of frustration over bias tape and applique. Finally, after wearing it for two years it no longer fit properly, so I remade it entirely using everything I know about gussets, and decided to skip bias tape and applique in favour of hand embroidery.

Vest-- Suedecloth lined with canvas, with more suedecloth for the applique. Revamped from a combination of the first version and my Natsu vest, with darts pinned by my roommate. I did the applique by hand this time, so it's much neater and less costume-y. I'm rather impressed at how well the vest has stood up, considering suedecloth is supposed to be hard to care for.

Pants-- Got a pair of old lady pants at a thriftstore. Dismembered them. Put them back together.

Belt-- brown trigger poplin, heavy interfacing, yellow fabric paint. I made an obi and painted the design on.

Boots-- grey canvas, interfacing, Wonderflex, snap fasteners, black elastic thread, white bias tape and white twill, welded onto a massacred pair of hiking boots I picked up at a rummage sale for a quarter (I'd originally gotten them for Reno). The boots defy physics, gravity, and logic through the use of Wonderflex and invisible lacing.

Wig-- Yuri is referred to as having black hair in the game, and black is easier to find than a particular shade of purple. I am not a kind wig-master, though, and sadly, my black wig has moved on to other things (IE, Nezumi), and been replaced by a purply black one that is indeed tangle-resistant.

Sword-- Cardboard, a 3 foot dowel, a popsicle stick, hot glue, tape, canvas, wax paper, plastic shinies, paint, and nearly an entire bottle of modpodge. I scrapped the massively inaccurate Abyssion someone made me and used the parts to make a standard issue Imperial Knight sword. I also discovered that mixing modpodge with paint is the best idea ever, and that cardboard and modpodge weapons don't like heat. It's had to be fixed up after every con so far.


Honourable Mention for Hall Cosplay Contest at AnimeNext '11

Comments: 4

Please log in or register to view comments.


United States


Character Yuri Lowell
Series Tales of Vesperia
Costume Views 1822
Favorites 3
Comments 4
Upload Date 01-12-2010
Debuted AnimeNext '10

Copyright 2002-2017 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.