Inventory Blowout! Professional quality cosplay wigs 30-40% off with shipping included - Click Here for details

Kaylee Frye

Shindig Dress

Firefly

Last Updated: 05-02-2010


Materials:
*Silk Organza for the ruffles
White, Peach/Pink, Pink
*White Cotton Broadcloth for the skirt base and Petticoat
*White Silk Charmeuse for the Bodice and Peplum Underlayer
*Embroidered Poly Organza for the Bodice and Peplum White and Pink

**All Trims from M&J Trimming**
- 02115 - Pink 15mm Organdy - for under the buttons
- 02125 - Pink 25mm Organdy - For the edge of the peplum and sleeves
- 02138 - Pink 38mm Organdy - for the 'belt' on the bodice
- 41524 - Pink Ruffle Organdy - for the ruffles on the bodice
- 13037 - 13mm White Bridal Buttons - 12pcs
- 33175 - Pink Orange Dotted Tassel Fringe - Closeout Green Tassel Fringe
- 12" Long white chainette fringe that was hand knotted and then dyed to match the original.

Notes:
- The entire bodice was drafted by be, no commercial patterns were used to make it. The front has faux buttons and the back closes with a long invisible zipper.
- I had to dye the sleeve fabric with a special polyester dye called Jacquard iDye Poly. I used a mix of Red with a touch of the Violet. I found the fabric takes the violet really well while the red washed out. It took a little trial and error, but after a few tests, I got a result I was happy with.
- The silk that goes under the sleeve was too stark as it was in white, so I dyed this in a very diluted solution of fuchsia dye. With it a slightly pink color, it makes the sleeves look a lot better.
- The bodice and upper sleeves are lined in cotton poplin so the costume breathes. The inside of the lining was hand sewn to the outer fabric.
- The front panel of the bodice that is ruched, measures twice the length of the flatlined piece underneath, this gives a great ruched effect that was then ironed down to form the 'pleats'.
- The ribbon was not strong enough in color on it's own, so I had to double it over and sew it to make one ribbon. This was then used to trim the peplum and middle of the bodice. The same was done for the belt.
- The belt is a doubled over piece of ribbon that closes with a hook and eye. The original dress looked like it had a belt to me, in some shots it seems to move around. If it were sewn to the dress, this wouldn't happen.
- The entire petticoat consists of about 50 yards of ruffles that were pulled by hand. I didn't have a ruffle foot at the time, so I had to create two gather stitches and pull each to the proper size needed. Each ruffle on the PC has a rolled hem on either side of the ruffle to prevent fraying.
- The overskirt has about 50-60 yards of ruffles as well. I recieved a ruffle foot for Christmas just as I was starting the white layer (my last layer), so those were made with the ruffler foot - what a life saver! All the edges of the OS ruffles are done with a rolled overcasting stitch to prevent fraying. This also helped give the ruffles body. There are only 8 layersof ruffles on the skirt, the final ruffle is the peplum on the bodice.
- The gloves were made from an old white cotton tee shirt that was destined for the trash anyway. I used an old glove as a pattern and made mine based off that. The fabric was dyed a light pink before cutting.
- The purse was made from the same dyed pink charmeuse used in the sleeves of the bodice and lined in a white silk taffeta for body. There is a big pink rhinestone button on the front and a silk satin ribbon strap.
- The shoe clips were made from the same silk satin ribbon that the purse strap is made from and then adorned with small rhinestone buttons.

Awards

Best Overall Workmanship Best Re-creation Workmanship First Place in Champion's Cup category

Comments: 12


Please log in or register to view comments.

BenaeQuee

United States



Stats

Character Kaylee Frye
Series Firefly
Costume Views 3420
Favorites 6
Comments 12
Upload Date 01-25-2010
Debuted TBD at Farpoint 2010

Copyright 2002-2017 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.