Last Updated: 06-01-2010
This took a loooooooong time to make. I started in january, finished the last friday of may: at 2AM the morning I was leaving to go to london.
The wig was originaly my Ilya wig. Coiled up and the braid was added with extentions tied with a ribbon. The 'antena' is a wire with a mix of wig and extention set with PVA.
I adore the dress. ts a bit warm to wear bit I love the way it sits and flows, love the colouring too.
It was time consuming, especialy all the hemming on the skirt. The white v details are made by heat n bonding a small layer of cotton to the back of the skirt and cutting the details. I was a bit of a dingbat as I maked the details in pen and couldn't get them out, so I had to paint over the marks.
The blue is a heavy cotton drill, the white is a pain cotton and I think the gold is lame.
The armout is a mix of cardboard, craft foam and a few other bits. It was spray painted after the acrylic failed to give me the finish I was after. It receved alot of damage over the day I wore it; there was alot of crowds and people kept walking into me with bags, destroying the skirt plates.
The front skirt pannel is safety pinned onto my dress. I didn't want to attach it to anything. the silver dangly bits are paperclay.
I know the Vs on excalibur are the wrong way round. Its wood, cut and shaped, with cardboard and paperclay overlayed for the thicker parts. Transporting it to london was fun, it was bubble wraped up but the coach driver put it in the hold in such a way that it receved some damage.
Its suffered with expo, the dress only needs a little washing due to paint transfer; the armour is in more of a state, at a minimum I need completly remake the gloves at least.
I do really love this costume, but I want to make to better as there are things wrong with it and little innacuracies (tiny little bits missing off the armour for example). I'm going to look into other matererials to remake it all sturdier, maybe thermoplasitc.
Please log in or register to view comments.