Frederick Francois Chopin

Eternal Sonata

Last Updated: 11-18-2010


Oh lordy...bear with me on this description as this is definitely my most detailed costume I've made.

The jacket is stretch suede. I was determined to get all the seams that the design has so I basically combined a whole bunch of various pattern pieces, made a mock-up out of muslin. Sewed it together, figured out where all the seams would be, tore it apart, and stitched up back together and fitted it and figured out all the seam allowances and whatnot. I wanted to make sure all the seams matched up to where they were supposed to so I'm really glad I did the mock-up first. I also top stitched in black in the areas that appeared to have it in the image. The jacket is fully lined in red, along with the capelet which is attached to the jacket. The back middle panels were made using the twill I used for the pants and that little horizontal piece is there, I swear! Just hard to see due to the backpiece.

All the "clasps" on the jacket were initially made of plastic styrene and actually could function...if the jacket design was closer together so they could. As its impossible to close it the way its done. ^^; However these pieces warped and so I replaced them with resin casted pieces for Otakon 2010. The little piece on the capelet is also plastic styrene with a gold chain to connect it to the button on the capelet. I later added the piece that goes over the cravat which is made of sculpe.

The top hat is also made of stretch suede and was perhaps the most annoying part of the costume as I couldn't get it to cooperate. It has poster board inside to try to make it more sturdy as interfacing wasn't enough. The studs are iron-on ones I found as I couldn't seem to find regular studs anywhere. I didn't like the first top hat so I remade it for Otakon, 2010 and it is now much more sharper and includes the slight turns on the side of the brim of the hat.

The pants and boot covers are twill. The boot covers are simple elastic ones I made last minute, with the iron-on studs and satin stitching to create the right decoration. The pants have a fully functional zipper fly and perhaps the best waistband I have ever created using stitch-in-the-ditch. The designs on the pants were embroidered using satin stitch and some by hand when I was in a car for a really long time with nothing better to do. XD

The "skirt" piece is eyelet fabric and I used that awful color hair spray to get the gradient dye on it, oddly enough. I was told by a friend that it worked and believe it or not, it did! XD And much less time consuming than having to boil water. I then pleated the fabric and appliqued the hearts on each pleat. The waistband is out of gro-grain (or however you spell it) and snaps close on the side. I gave enough extra on the side so that it overlaps so its not as obvious it comes open but the jacket covers it up anyways.

The shirt is classic white shirting with fully functional clover-like buttons I found. I then added the lace to the bottom and sleeves. The cuffs on the jacket and the cravat are of the same material. The cuffs also have satin stitching on them.

The collar is also made of classic shirting and the designs on it are all satin stitched on using a white/silver blend embroidery thread. Which I also used to do all the satin stitching on the bottom of the capelet and jacket. The embroidery design on the actual capelet was done using my Mom's embroidery machine. I drew the design myself and put it into her computer to turn it into an embroidery design which is why its so clear and smooth looking.

The first backpiece I made was using plastic styrene as the base so it'd be light and then used paper clay to get all the layering and designs on it. However, this warped and the paper clay cracked a month or two after I wore it. So for Otakon I made a second backpiece using lightweight wood as the base and sculpe for the detailing. I lost power the week before the con so I didn't have as much time to work on this part as I would have liked. Though it didn't matter in the end because at the end of the con, one of my friends accidentally snapped it in half. T_T lol So I had to make a third backpiece, once again out of wood but this time made it a little thicker in places and so far it has survived two cons so I think I've finally made it sturdy enough.

The sword/baton...thing is made of wood. My Dad helped me on this part. We took several wooden rods and combined them for the handles and then carved the centerpiece using his handy dandy intricate saw that I forgot the name of. We also carved the thicker part of the handle to try to give it closer to the actual shape as we could. Sanded the tip to give it a bit more of a point and spray painted it gold and used several shades of brown for the designs on the handle.

The clock is made of a wooden base piece I found at Michael's and then I painted it brown and used plastic styrene to make the face so it'd be a bit more smooth. The detail work on it is made of paper clay and the hands were bought and hammered in. I was going to have them so they could move but I hammered in the tack at an angle by accident so they're stuck forever at 3:15. XD Then the cording attaches to the back of the costume with a clip so I can get it on and off easily.

Awards

Best Master Craftsmanship - Nekocon 2010

Comments: 0


Please log in or register to view comments.

Lyn

United States



Stats

Character Frederick Francois Chopin
Series Eternal Sonata
Costume Views 971
Favorites 2
Comments 0
Upload Date 02-25-2010
Debuted Katsucon 2010

Copyright 2002-2013 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.