Super Mario: RPG
Last Updated: 06-25-2010
This costume is unfortunately on hold. After a large amount of time trying to get the body to do what I wanted it to, it wasn't turning out. So I'm trying some easier costumes with similar techniques to hone my techniques first.
Unlike all other cosplayers I've seen do this, I'm not doing a body suit and facepaint. I'm going to make a giant ball head and armor pieces for the body.
5/17/10: Concept sketches - Decided an 18" ball for the head is the perfect size.
5/20/10: Couldn't find an 18" ball. Went with a 16". Three layers of paper mache on it so far. Needs a few more. Cloth for cloak and hat purchased.
5/23/10: Five layers of paper mache now. Figured that was enough to pull it off the mold ball. Still weak in a few places. Will reinforce later. Started on the hat. After a failed one, I tried again with some better results. It doesn't have the bump in the back or the orange curls, but looking good so far. I started on the nose.
5/30/10: Nose is attached. Ears made and drying. Preliminary test of leg pieces paper mache'd and drying.
6/25/10: Ears attached. Head spackle'd to give even finish. Working on reinforcing some structurally weak points.
Please log in or register to view comments.