So I look like a retard in every picture of this costume that's been taken so far: I hadn't slept in a week, I was too hot, and the winning combination of broken wings and tangled wig were making me want to strangle something. So you'll have to wait on those.
WINGS: The wings are aluminum tubing, wrapped in fiberglass for strength. Unfortunately, they were STILL too fragile for convention-wear, so they're being remade with delrin rod in the future. The top two pairs of wings are hinged at the 'wrist' joint, which is where the tubing snapped, and the little hip-wings are stationary. Each wing sockets into a fitted Wonderflex backplate that curves over my shoulders; this is also an issue that needs fixing, since the wonderflex did NOT want to hold that curve snugly. The feathers are made out 30 yards of of synthetic sheers, tattered with a soldering iron. On the little wings, which the art always portrays as more birdlike than the upper wings, the 'body' feathers at the top were burned out individually.
JEWELRY: Cast hotglue painted with Lumiere acrylics. Made a plaster bandage cast of my waist/forehead, sculpted the original on in roma plastilina, mold made with Hydrocal (stronger than Plaster of Paris), melted hotglue in the oven and poured it into the molds. Came out bubbly as hell, needed lots of touch-up, but better than having a rigid piece that requires careful handling. The brooch is resin cast in a clear Christmas ornament, which became the outer surface of the gem. Nailpolish was used for all the blue in the beads and the gem.
HOOPSKIRT: I wear stilts with this costume, so the hoopskirt was initially just to keep me from tripping on myself when I walked. It's just a big muslin tube with twill tape channels, gathered onto irrigation tube and a waistband. There's about a mile of tulle and nylon net at the bottom, to take it from cone to bell-shape. I was not clever and did not think to make an elliptical hoop :<
SKIRT: UGH GORED SKIRTS HOW I HATE YE. Outer layer is Mystique-brand satin, inner layer is white lining with an 'apron' of synthetic organza. The organza is Fortuny pleated, did that by twisting it into a rope and boiling it for a few hours. The skirt would not have been possible without the assistance of my mother: you may notice that my specialties are wings, armor, and madness, where madness is not equivalent to complex pattern drafting.
There's couched cord embroidery up the opening in the outer skirt; cord was originally yellow, got painted with Lumiere acrylics, and was going to be sewn on until I ran out of time and sanity and hotglued it. Also, hidden messages. 50 points to anyone who can find them.
SHIRT: Same shebang as the underskirt, lining with an outer layer of Fortuny pleated organza. The outer layer twists around the base layer of the sleeves. Velcros up the back so I can get it off unassisted, and has holes for the wings to socket through. It was stupidly hot to wear.
CAPE: Runched collar is runched, and smexy. I didn't cop out on the couched cord here, this part is actually sewn on because it's not, y'know, ten feet of embroidery. It's lined. It has slits for my wings. It was a pain in the ass getting it to stay open: the strands of beads across the front are threaded on wire to prop it open.
Judge's Award for Best Engineering, Otakon 2010