House of Flying Daggers
Last Updated: 08-19-2010
This costume came about as a sort of happy bit of fortune. While shopping with HellKitty, we got a frantic call from her mom that the local Wal-Mart had their fabric on clearance for $5/bolt! We rushed over and dove into the bins head first. We came up with two bolts of this wonderful, natural looking green fabric that we knew was perfect for the green uniforms from House of Flying Daggers.
The outer layer was made with a regular bathrobe pattern. The seam on one side was left open from the hip to the hem, and then bound with green quilt binding.
The underskirt fabric came from the same bin as the robe fabric. It's a lighter green stretch fabric that's a litle bulky, but is a nice colour.
The braided sashes are made from bias tape and the leftover bits of robe fabric.
The hat was a real experiment. Someone on Cosplay.com had made the hat with grasses and raffia and such, so I hit the craft store. But, instead of buying grasses and raffia, I bought a $5 balsa wood easter basket.
I took the basket home, took out all the nails, and pulled the thing apart. I softened the wood in a pot of hot water and then started weaving it together randomly over the hat pattern I had drawn on some computer paper. It took a couple of hours to get all the wood softened, woven, and glued into place. For the braid around the edge, I actually went down to the field and plucked some long blades of grass that I just wove together and then glued onto the edge.
All in all, the entire costume came together pretty quickly! And it's super comfortable, so I think I'll be wearing it for a while. ^^
Please log in or register to view comments.