No More Heroes
Last Updated: 11-02-2010
Despite the appearance and approach by most cosplayers, I tend to lean towards what would give a costume more depth and realistic appearance. So I decided to make this a two piece costume, the pink striped overdress and a white, puffy sleeved, ruffle trimmed petticoat.
I used two patterns for the whole outfit: a dress pattern with thick straps and a corset pattern.
The pink dress started off with a pink cotton and wool blend suiting fabric. It is fully lined and fully boned with a lightweight flexible boning. Although not fully accurate to design, I left the tops of the straps disconnected so they could be adjustable by tying ribbon to desired tightness. I went that route because there was no chance to have the customer try on the dress. Ribbon was individually sewn on to achieve the stripes. We decided to keep the amount of stripes low to avoid the candy look most other costumes have turned out. Ignoring the directions to finish the bottom of the corset, I used the other pattern to create the skirt, adjusted the length, and attached. The light pink sash was sewn together and permanently attached with a couple of hand stitches around the front and sides and machine stitched in the back at the sash ends.
For the petticoat I followed the dress pattern directions almost to a T. However I adjusted the length and added cuffed puffy sleeves to the straps. The ruffles were a bit tricky. For the collar and trim, I doubled fabric, right sides together, sewed a long rectangle (for the trim I had to attach several pieces together to get a length long enough) and flipped rightside out. Then I played with the pleats, their size and shape, till the pieces fit in their places. The ruffles for the trim were given a layer of heavy interfacing to help along its ability to stand up.
My client and I agreed not to go with a crazy hoop for the skirt. Even in the game, it's not outlandishly wide and we also wanted her to be comfortable, and not a hazard. Using the same flexible boning I lined the bottom of the petticoat. This allowed the dress to have somewhat of a shape, but the client could walk through crowds, doors, and sit down and the boning would collapse with ease. Yet, the boning springs back into place when it can and if by some chance gets a little out of shape, just takes a little bit of bending to fix. Once in, I experimented a bit and found that if I sewed the ruffle trim to the boning (near where it connected to the petticoat) the pull of the boning on the ruffle trim would allow the ruffle to do its gravity defying stand out.
Last details included the choker, pink cuffs with white buttons on the petticoat, and a bow for the back (lined with interfacing and detachable for always a perfectly tied bow).
Please log in or register to view comments.