We originally kept our costume choices a secret until the event.
A week prior to the competition we decided to do this version of Oz instead of just doing up my original red coat previously done. I arrived at her house thursday evening and we worked non stop, pulling an all nighter the friday to finish both costumes in time.
Thar was much stress and unneccisary problems during this such as I came down with a really bad cold and the overlocker continuesly broke on the last stretch
The boot covers, waistcoat and undershirt were entirely Street-Angels work. The hat was mine. The rest of the costume construction was shared between us [though majoritively based had to have been hers still xD]
The coat lapels have 11 layers alone of varied material, trim, lace, lining and interfacing.
The back bow trails have two hand painted motifs of roses courtesy of Street-Angel.
The hat was made using a certain type of foam which was then covered with material and laced round the tips, the decorations were arranged and hot glued.
The boot covers were our largest issue, the material origionally ordered ended up being more of a table cover than white leathret. Covers were made but looked inappropriate so Street_Angel made some new ones using the coat material based over some heels, I was a bit wobbly since I neverr wear heels xD
We made the neck bow, actually quite early in the process but in the rush managed to leave it at Street-Angels home that morning oTL
The cuffs and leg bracer had their lines sewn on individually by Street-Angel.
Both of us had appropriate contacts for the costumes but due to the rush upon arrival and any clear sign of toilets we were forced to abandon putting them in before performing.
Our performance was not perfect, we are fully aware of this xD
We only managed to practise it 3 times, two days BEFORE the event D;
There simply wasn't the space or time before hand.
We hadn't slept and we were both physically and mentally exhausted
So bad performance was bad - I apologise oTL
All in all this was an insane project and definately the most intense project Ive been apart of. There were many times we nearly gave up due to exhaustion and problems but in the end we managed it. We were gutted to not get placed in the final outcome, but believe the right winners were chosen at the end.
I just want to emphasis how much I owe Street-Angel for sticking by me during it all and for helping one of my personal favourite costumes come into existance :D
London MCM Expo October 2010
The morning of sunday was spent pinning the two layered hand dyed trim to the bottom of the coat, Street-Angel hand dyed it with the use of a tree branch previously to the date XD
The boot covers were taken in as they had originally been a bit misfitted in our haste, and a three tiered waist band of frills was added to the overall design to emphasise the frillage in the reference picture. It's huuuage seriously XD;
Once again we nearly forgot the neck bow but luckily realised as we got into the lift hahaha XD
We entered into parade and since email communication had messed up before hand we had no music, the tune that DID play for us was ... interesting ._.;
Either way we both figured we'd messed it up and blarg
so when we were announced as the winners we really couldn't quite believe it XD;
Thankyou everyone so much for the congratulations and practically shoving us up onto our feet, considering both of us were far to shocked to move originally XD
1st place parade winner with my Will of the Abyss <3
at London MCM Expo October 2010 [sunday]