Legend of Mana
Last Updated: 05-03-2013
This was quite a fun costume! I think this is my fave. <3 I love being an elegant knight who can totally kick butt, haha
I decided to go with a light gold for the main colour because it seems to suit the character and is more accurate to the sprite (since the official artwork is so up to interpretation). I wanted a black and gold theme, though I did use a dark brown for the underside of the skirt. The main fabric is a cotton sateen, and the underside of the skirt and cape is the backside of cheap shiny satin (since the backside had a slight sheen and a really nice, slightly nubby texture to it). I dyed the sateen to a light gold using Rit dye, and attempted a gradient dye to black on the hem of the skirt, but even after dying and redying, it ende dup too subtle to notice.
The skirt is stiffened with windowscreen, and should have horizontal ribs of boning in it and vertical topstitching by Sac Anime Summer 2011, which I hope will keep the skirt stiffer, to keep the shell-like shape of the original.
All the pearls are painted by hand with black and gold acrylic paints, and sewn by hand onto the cape. The thread ended up drooping and making some of them hang down low, but I ended up liking the look because it seems like they are floating. The giant pearls on my forehead and chest (Blackpearl seems to be the only Jumi with two cores!!) are two halves of a styrofoam ball that I painted.
The wig is a hime wig from cosplaywig on Ebay. The colour is "light chestnut mousse brown," and I seriously wish it was my real hair.
The giant fishhammer is not made of Lorimar Iron, but rather craft foam, cheesecloth, white glue, paperclay, a nasty old chiffon nightgown, and a plastic grid for cross stitch. I built the cone shape out of craft foam, to which I added three ribs of more foam, which I covered in a few layers of cheesecloth and white glue. I then covered this in paperclay and painted it gold and white. The fin is made from ribs of bamboo skewers with non-fraying chiffon cut from a nightgown sandwiched in between, and then painted and covered in paperclay. I used a few different shades of blue to add dimension to the fin without caking on too much paint and making it too opaque.
The pole is just a 6' wooden pole I picked up at the hardware store. I spraypainted it black and then added a bit of pearlescent spray to give it a little interest and dimension.
The business end of the hammer is a disc of craft foam, painted blue, with a circular cross stitch grid glued to the back for stability. This is attached to the shell part by velcro. Actually, the pole is attached to the inside of the shell by velcro, as well, and is inside of a toilet paper tube wedged and glued inside for stability. I wanted to make it so I could disassemble the prop for storage or transport, if needed. I think I'm one of the few cosplayers with a large, heavy, and delicate prop that is actually securely velcroed together!!
Please log in or register to view comments.