Last Updated: 11-13-2010
I figured Fiona would be a fun character to do, since as an ogre, she's plump, bubbly, and just all-around awesome. I also thought it would be a challenge to do the detailing, as well as the challenge that the body paint itself would provide.
Hooo was I right!
The pattern I used was a medieval pattern that ended up being a lot bigger through the bottom than I was expecting - I think that skirt is about 80 inches across!
The original fabric I chose has a really nice vine pattern but it was TERRIBLE. I sewed the skirt together and immediately the seams started to fray so I had to chuck that version and start again. This fabric is actually Kasha lining, which is meant to line winter coats. It's very fuzzy and soft on the inside, and the outside has a nice satin sheen without the true shine of satin.
The dress is a separate piece from the over bodice, since I figured it was easier to take small bits apart than the whole farking dress and it turned out to be a good idea. :)
The over-bodice is cut out of the same pattern as the under-dress except for the front panel which I completely BSed due to the point, and the fact it needed to sit up slightly higher on me. I had to cut that farking piece out soooo many times in order to get both the size and shape correct. Sure taught me the value of using a muslin for these things! I didn't have enough fabric to cut out pieces more than once, so I used a LOT of scraps when figuring out pieces!
The under-bodice (aka what the skirt is attached to) is black fabric I had left over from other costumes and the sleeves are lined in the same material, as Fiona's sleeves come to a point and I figured there was no way I could hem a perfect angle. So, lining. :)
My friend is a far more patient sewer than I am so she hand-sewed the gold ribbon on the neck and around the bottom. I did the gold trim around the arm holes and LORD did I hate that - I think it's piping and it's annoying to have to sew the edge down, and then fold what you've just sewn under and essentially top stitch your hem. Took me almost an hour to get that right.
My fantastic friend style the wig for me. We decided to go with a twist rather than a braid in the end. In the movie, she has a braid but in the stage musical, it's more of a twist and I liked the way the twist looked.
My other friend did the painting of the over bodice. I bought SEVEN different type of gold paints for her to try until we found one that worked on the lining without being either too light or too runny.
The crown is yellow craft foam covered with two layers of thin gold paint, and then a third layer of a different gold paint that gives it a sparkle. The red gem in the centre is covered with the gold 'top coat' to give it a similiar shine.
The ears are also craft foam and are attached to the same hair band as the crown.
The body paint is Krylon Aquacolor in Lime Green, I think. Even my legs were painted to keep the illusion of being totally green!
The wig is an Amanda from Coswox in Firestorm.
Please log in or register to view comments.