Drocell Cainz

Visual Kei

Kuroshitsuji / Black Butler

Last Updated: 07-09-2012


Construction details:
So basically I had 6 yards of sueded twill I bought 5+ years ago intending to make some super comfy hakama despite it not being the best choice for said garments. Skip ahead 5+ years and I decided that Drocell's visual kei outfit was a perfect project to sacrifice the fabric on.

Using my trusty collection of vintage patterns I found one for a woman's blazer from the 80's. Even though I cut the pattern to the smallest size, it was still baggy a la 80's fashion. After tailoring it down and adding darts in the back, it started to look more fitted and polished.

I lined the jacket with black taffeta to give it more body and even forced myself to learn how to do facings on the jacket because you can't just fake lapels and a collar. I used a blazer I wear for work as a reference and learned how to add facings in with the lining. The process was time-consuming but the end product looks nice and definitely adds shape and a "finished" look to the jacket.

For the white shirt, I referenced a tuxedo shirt and made pattern pieces off of it. I also learned to do button holes, which sound simple, but I had been avoiding them for ages. I used ivory buttons I found in the button box and called it a day. The sleeve ruffles are box pleated and detachable for easy washing.

The biggest headache for this shirt was the eyelets. I could not find white eyelets in any store so I spray-painted my silver ones to white. After messing around with the eyelet pliers that I bought ages ago and totally mashing them in a disgusting way, I found a vintage eyelet setter that is just a piece of metal with a small indentation for the top of the eyelet. It worked better than any modern tool I've handled. Yay for functional antiques!

The skirt and pants combo were interesting to make. For the pants, I use an 80's sweat pant pattern and added a side zip. I added knife pleats to the skirt and nuked it with spray starch to keep them clean and sharp.

Anyway, perhaps one of the more fun parts of this was working on the flowers for the hat. I used synthetic fabric, cut the general petal shape, melted the edges, gathered the fabric, and rolled them into roses. Melting things is fun, especially when not destructive!

The mic is another epic adventure. I based it off a real vintage mic, the Calrad DM-16H.L which only means something to collectors and audio junkies. Anyway, I made the mic itself from insulation foam, covered in black fabric, plastic canvas, phone cord for the detailing, and coated things in school glue for a super smooth finish. The bottom part of the mic is wood. The mic stand is 2 pieces of pvc pipe wrapped in chrome paper, covered in cellophane. The base is a mini frisbee I received at Katsucon 2010 and it is weighted with a CD spindle complete with enough CDs to keep the frisbee off the ground but looking like it touches. Other interesting junk I threw in was pieces of Ramune bottles and mini blinds. The best part about this prop is that I finally "got it together" and made this easy to transport. The microphone is removable, the stand comes apart in several places, and all together, it can fit into a yoga bag. Finally, props that are easy to travel with!

Awards

Honorable Mention - AUSA 2010

Comments: 5


Please log in or register to view comments.

Ion

United States



Stats

Character Drocell Cainz
Series
Costume Views 1716
Favorites 5
Comments 5
Upload Date 11-02-2010
Debuted AUSA 2010

Copyright 2002-2013 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.