Lillymon

Digimon Adventure

Last Updated: 11-30-2010


Lillymon

Or Lilimon. Or Lilymon. Or Lillimon. Whichever country youíre in, one of those spellings is correct.

Why this character? Iíve loved Digimon for as long as I can remember. When everyone was getting into Pokemon, way back in 1996, I was getting into Digimon. For me, this is bringing back a piece of my childhood. Lillymon felt like a good balance between tamer and monster. There wasnít one tamer that I wanted to be, nor was there one digimon. And thatís why Lillymon came to mind. It allowed me to take on new sewing challenges without going into a full mascot costume.

Lillymon had its own challenges with finding pictures and video. Because Digimon is also a card game, there are a lot of different variations on the colors and sizing with Lillymonís wardrobe. I did my best to try and combine all of the pictures into one. So in some aspects, all of the colors are right on each variation of trading cards and the anime. XD

The outfit is broken into a few pieces. Shirt. Pants. Skirt/belt. All are made of stretch cotton. The shirt is a sleeveless turtleneck, with a zipper in the back so that the neck is tight (though still breathable). The yellow vines and leaves are normal cotton, stitched into place. A pair of shorts were made in pink and sit under the shirt for no upskirts.

The belt is part skirt, part flower petals. The petals were made with a stretch cotton and then hand dyed to get the darker tones on the bottom. Then they were stuffed with scraps of fabric from previous projects and sewed onto the belt. Behind them is a green organza that has been ruffled into a skirt. The bottom trim on the skirt is leftover green fabric from another project. I did this skirt for a two reasons. To give some extra texture to the costume, she is part flower after all. Mostly itís from this one shot in the anime where she flys by the screen and there is a second or two where the camera goes near that area, and all you see is green. So I wanted to represent that.

The armbands are also stretch cotton, with the same yellow used on the shirt. The boots are brocade cotton covers that go over a pair of flats. The flowers were hand cut and sewed on. The stiffness in the cloth helps keep the tops of the boots up without cutting off circulation to the leg.

The headpiece is a new feat that Iím proud of. The petals were also made of stretch cotton and dyed with the petals on the belt (consistency!). The headband was made with 20 gauge wire and wrapped in cotton to reduce any markings after wearing the headpiece for a few hours. From there, I attached the vines to the back (tying and gluing). The vines are made out of yarn that I hand crocheted. The yarn has a thin thread of gold running through it, which I felt like it gave more of the vine look. Trying to go for an organic costume and didn't want the vines to be a burden to the outfit. After attaching the vines, I went through and sewed each petal through the headband and to each other so that they almost connect at the top. The yellow filament is a thin wire wrapped with another bit of stretch cotton so it can be bent as need-be. It was sewn to the tops of the petals to maintain stability. I considered wearing sunglasses (I have a pair that matches my prescription that is the same shape as Lillymon's eyes, but I decided against it in the end. I felt it would detract from the details in the costume, and lots of flash reflections on the glasses in pictures. Not so good. Instead I used makeup with heavy eyeliner and a purple smokey eye.)

The wings are also a first time effort. They are made of 22 gauge wire, wrapped with cotton brocade cloth and painted with a dark green paint pen. Unfortunately my harness system vanished. So I ended up making two more yarn vines and created shoulder straps. At first I thought it was corny (since the wings are attached to Lilly and not on a strap) but after a while I could see the straps blending in with the vine hair.

Last but not least is the flower cannon. This is an assembly of stretch satin, matte side up, wire, paper mache, and lots of testing. I made a small model using cardboard for the cannon and scraps of cotton as leaves, using a pulley to get the flowers to open and close. Seeing how well it turned out, I created a full scale version.

Cost: 68.70

Comments: 14


Please log in or register to view comments.

tifaia

United States



Stats

Character Lillymon
Series Digimon Adventure
Costume Views 1697
Favorites 6
Comments 14
Upload Date 11-21-2010
Debuted YuleCon 2010

Copyright 2002-2013 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.