Little Witch Mana
Last Updated: 06-06-2011
This is a silly little costume I suddenly really wanted to make. I did a probably unbeatable (personal) record in costume finishing time, only four days. Though once during that time I worked for 22 hours in a row... I did some bad decisions while half asleep so the costume isn't as accurate as it could be. I might make a more accurate and detailed version in the future, but I still love how this one turned out!
Originally I was going to finish this for my first con here but in the end I wasn't able to. Due to all the shops being closed in the beginning of the week I had planned to start working on the costume, I had no chance but to start only two days before the con. I finished four days after, which is my personal record, but still I had to forget about the con. DX But I remembered it's alright, there are cons here very often. So far we've had one photoshoot but will have more soon.
I chose this character because her costume seemed rather simple, and I could finish it in not too much time, without spending much money. Also the character design is very cute, and it turned out I could even use my own hair for it... No, I didn't realise that before getting desperate because the wig I had gotten for this cosplay was way too dark, and my boyfriend reminded me my hair is exactly like the character's. How lucky! XO
Planning the construction was a fun and simple job. I had to invent what the character wears on her legs, though, because I worked with only two references. I don't own the game so I couldn't get more. So, I had to use some imagination. In the future I might add the ribbons on the stockings, and the holes and waist belt on the dress.
The white fabric I bought for the costume turned out to need some special equipment and settings for the sewing machine, so it took a while for me to figure out how I could even get a seam to stay on it. People on the forums here helped me a lot with that, thanks. DX I really wanted to use that fabric because it was so soft, really cheap, and wouldn't fray. In the end I got it to work, the problem had been bad quality thread and wrong sewing machine foot. One thing I think I should reveal is that I used fabric glue for many of the seams to save time and avoid having to sew that white fabric... XD
Now on to how I made it. First I made patterns for all the parts. They are very simple so I only needed to use measurements, and a bit of trial and error. X) The dress has two long darts in the back, a back zipper, a clear behind-the-neck bra strap, and two buttons on the white strap that goes behind the back. I really like how nicely it fits, though at first I had some problems with the boob parts. They wouldn't give any support and look very bad, but that was fixed when I prepared some padded bra cups. They still look a bit funny but much better than before...
I made the green magatama brooch thingy from modeling paste and papier mache, and Darki painted it for me with acrylics. It's pretty and shiny. :D It's attached to the collar with a safety pin and two pieces of velcro. I made the red edges of the collar with ribbon. The collar attaches with velcro in the back.
The sleeves consist of 7 pieces each. I attached the ribbon by simply cutting holes and putting it through them, and securing the ends. (To do it this simply you need fabric that doesn't fray at all.) They have some elastic inside the red top pieces. I love how they turned out!
The head bow was fun to make as well and I really love how it came out. Now I have some more faith in my bow making skills. XD It's made of a (huge) long-ish rectangle, a little smaller one, and a very small one. I put some wire inside to keep it in shape, as the fabric isn't very thick. It attaches to my hair with two clips. I first make a little braid and fluff the hair a bit, and then clip the bow on. My hair is kind of slippery but it stays on rather well. It looks very funny, I would totally wear it with everyday clothes as well. :D
The white stockings were originally tights. I modified them very nicely and they turned out looking like they had always been stockings, but then I went and destroyed the other one cutting holes into it. DX I'm a little angry at myself. As I mentioned before, I might make the ribbon part on the socks in the future.
I decided to wear my old black platform shoes for this costume because I don't have any better suiting ones and didn't want to spend money on new ones. I thought I could just cover them up a little with those ankle thingies. I made some random white ribbons to suit the rest of the costume... I guess they look kind of alright. DX
Well, that's how I made the costume, I have nothing else to say about it for now... Might make it more accurate later!
Please log in or register to view comments.