Magic Knight Rayearth
Last Updated: 01-21-2014
This costume was a very spontaneous, last-minute decision. Here's how it went down: I randomly had a dream one night a few weeks ago where I was cosplaying Fuu, and my boyfriend was cosplaying Ferio. It was really fun, and when I woke up, I was so disappointed it wasn't actually happening! I just couldn't shake the feeling all day. When I told my friend Ryuuraigeki about it, she told me she was bringing her gorgeous Umi to OhayoCon, and would have her friend Ita istar with her as Hikaru. They needed a Fuu. And she knew I had been contemplating cosplaying Fuu for a while (this particular, coincidentally matching artbook variation). I figured, "When the heck will I get a chance like this again?" and decided to go for it. I'm glad I did! It was a lot of fun. Fuu was always my favorite. :D
I made this costume from start to finish within approximately 3 weeks. I drafted my own patterns for everything, simply because I was too cheap to buy new patterns, haha. It worked out well, despite not having made a dress like this before! I made a mock up of the bodice, overskirt, and underskirts before making the real thing.
Boots: I also made boot covers over a pair of heels, which I'm SUPER proud of! I've never made boot covers before, let alone non-stretch boot covers, so I was terrified of them. But they came out even better than I expected, so I am really happy with them. I made the gold bias tape trim and did some satin stitched applique. I also used really thick interfacing on the top part of the boots so that it would be sturdy enough to support the gems. I also lined the boots so it would all look pretty from the outside AND inside. :)
Cape: The cape was very simple...I just measured the width I needed at the shoulders and cut a triangle shape down to the width of the fabric. I added a very simple hood in the back and sewed it to the cape. I then used snap buttons to attach to the chest plate as well as a snap for each shoulder to anchor the cape in place. I didn't want it draping all down my arms. I'm glad I bothered with that!
Chest plate: The chest plate is just 3 layers of craft foam with paperclay smoothed on the edges. I painted it with Liquitex iridescent gold acrylic. Frankly, it looks WAY too yellow and I hate it. I will try to find a better paint for it before my next wear. Yick. The gem was just a glass floral vase gem. I painted the back with an iridescent green glass paint (with a golden shine).
Arm and leg warmers: These were a breeze. I made them up in no time. :P The sash also is just a long, 2-sided piece of fabric. It's too narrow though. I will make a wider sash for it.
Underskirts: The underskirt is two layers of circle skirts attached together, one slightly longer than the other. I just used elastic for it. :B
Dress/overskirt: The overskirt was a pain in the butt. I originally had it sewn together perfectly, but it ended up being too long in the front, and too closed. You could hardly see the green under skirt. So I decided to redo the front half but had a tough time re-attaching the thing and making it look good! I saved this part until the night before (bad idea) and consequently didn't have enough time to properly fix it up, so it looks pretty crummy, but at least it's better than what I had going. I hope to do it again, this time with actual pleats instead of gathering. After seeing Ryuuraigeki's and Ita istar's overskirts, the pleating looks WAY more pronounced, and I think I should have done that to begin with. Oh well. What can I say, I'm a dress newbie. :P
Wig: The wig I cut and styled, but it hardly looks like it! It's too long and the curls didn't really stay, unfortunately. I need to redo it. I didn't get much time to work on the wig either. :(
Armband: I just made it out of Fimo and covered it with paperclay to try and smooth it out. It's really bumpy and ick. I hate it. :( But I ran out of time with it. I'm never using Fimo again! I hate that stuff. It ended up being a little too big for my arm (whoops), but fashion tape kept that baby in place all day!
Tiara: The tiara was very simple. I just found a wide necklace piece and added the beads to it. The only work I did was glue the beads in place and paint the green gem with my iridescent green paint I used for my other gems to match.
Overall, I'm pretty happy with this costume. I need to fix a few things, but it came out pretty well considering how little time I had for it, and drafting my own patterns. I can't wait to wear it again! Hopefully I'll have my Ferio with me next time. :)
Thanks to Ryuuraigeki for all her advice and support!
Please log in or register to view comments.