Star Wars Expanded Universe
Last Updated: 02-13-2011
This costume was definitely tricky. Let’s start with the jumpsuit. I did not use a commercial pattern, but drafted my own pattern, custom fit, by doing several drafts with a stretch mockup. I used some beautiful fabric given to me by a friend, and while I love the look, it only stretches 2 ways. Despite a well-fitting draft, the costume ended up with some fit issues and I can”t move in it very well! The inside of the legs is padded with quilt batting and stitched to create the effect. I created my own piping using piping filler and strips of the black fabric. The cloak is basically a 3/4 circle, made from a lovely raw silk. The cloak pin is made from Sculpey. I used cookie cutters to cut it out and comb to make the design. The knee guards were made from wonderflex, plastic tubing, and fiberglass. The shin guards were also Wonderflex, but need to be remade. I didn’t even want to think about wearing gloves in May, so I opted for the arm wraps (simple knit tubes) she has sometimes worn instead. The belts and harness straps were difficult because I had never worked in leather- basically they are belt blanks that I dyed, shaped and added buckles to (yay for helpful staff at Tandy Leather). The boots are basic costume boots, but it was tough finding black boots with a low heel. The henna red wig was bought and minimally styled, although I would like a more natural looking “red-gold” wig in the future. The goggles also took a bit of hunting for the right type, now that steampunk is so popular. I replaced the strap with an undecorated one. The lightsaber was actually a prize I won the year prior, but I do intend to get a more accurate Vader saber at some point when I have the funds! I also intend to make one of her small blasters.
Please log in or register to view comments.