This is the hardest thing I have ever made in my life. Ever.
I'd never made a jacket before. For that matter, I'd never lined a garment, or made functional buttonholes, or made a real pair of pants with a zipper. And somehow, after three months of gruelling trial and error, I came out of this with a tailored livery coat and an okay pair of pants and a kick-ass vest.
Improvements over my first Ash costume:
- I made everything this time around, so the coat and the pants are the same fabric. Woot!
- Waist suppression, awwwww yeah. No more harbl sack-fitting coat.
- Oh hey everything is real clothing this time. The coat is lined, the vest has buttonholes instead of decorative buttons + velcro, no fusible tape or hot glue was used.
- The purple satin I used last time was dyed a slightly darker/bluer color, which I think looks better. The gold parts (trim, buttons, chain) all match, and they're a more orangey shade of gold than the crappy mylar trim I used last time.
- Real dress shoes! I had to paint them white, though.
- I have a sword this time, even if it was a pain to get out of the sheath.
- Wig bought for the purpose of this costume, instead of stolen from my boyfriend's Kadaj.
- BIGGER WINGS 8D I have a problem.
- I learned to do some makeup, namely contouring and coloring my eyebrows.
Stuff that needs fixing:
- Pants need tucks in the front; the ironed-in crease doesn't hold
- Need to plane down my swordblade more so it unsheathes smoothly
- Leather dye on shoes bled through paint :<
- Carry a rear view mirror for wings, TOTALLY NOT KIDDING. I can throw a pocket onto the inside of my coat for it :P
Honorable Mention, Hall Contest Katsucon 2011