This is the Queen outfit from Fable III.
Starting from the inside out, I sewn the top first with a regular shirt with the upper half having that distinct neckline. Then I just added the collar part and attached it to the top. There are two collars, one is the one with the lacey part and the other one on top is the ‘chinese collar’ that is buttoned to the collar underneath it so it doen’t move as much. Then with the fur part, I made a bolero with the same colour as the top and have it sewn to it. I couldn’t fine a spotted fur or fake fur so I indulged myself and got rabbit fur instead. It also is the one that has the long sleeve since the top has short sleeve. The bolero has a makeshift tie to wrap it from under the bust line to the back keeping it secured and prevents it from flapping around at the front if I raise my arms up. The sailor collar at the back is separate. Made it detachable just in case I will need to wash it or something. The pants are just regular straight cut that I made a little narrow at the bottom to easily hide inside the boot tops.
The next one is the nightmare and that is the ‘breastplate’. The shape/base of it is wonderflex then added the details in craft foam. Was a big challenge creating this as it was my first time using wonderflex. At the end, I would love to keep using it for armor pieces. It was costly but worth it. Anyways, it was heated to form around my body. Of course I didn’t use my own body but used my dress form. The back and the front was joined together by hinges. I was thinking of hiding it underneath but with the shape of it, I had to show it outside as a design. It is then closed by a belt and buckle at the other side. Finished it up with a seal of latex primer, silver spray paint and gold acrylic paint. The inside is lined with velvet fabric, only glued. This is to protect the shirt underneath and for easy movement, not much friction.
The panels and skirt, are simple. The first layer skirt which is the red velvet one, is made using a regular skirt pattern, then made slits at the front and back. To keep the gap I gathered from the hips together to pull it. Then made triangles for the next layer of panels, two on the side and one at the front, lastly a short one at the back. The two panels at the side have a very intricate design. To simulate that, instead of painting or embroidering that monstrosity of details, I found upholstery fabric that has a design close to what it is with the colour simliar to it, (blue background with yellow/goldish detail). Finally, last layer of panels are the blue buttoned ones with the fur trim layer. The fur trim is the same fur that I used at the collar.
Lastly made boot tops for the shoes. The gloves, I bought a regular one from the thrift store and added the fold at the top and stenciled on the pattern. I used black vinyl for those.
The crown is craft foam, secured and shaped by a plastic tubing that is cut straight through and then inserted the foam crown into it. Then finished it with latex primer and gold paint. It’s also weathered down with a darker shade of gold and watered down black.
I forgot that all painted items are sealed first with that floor polish. The ones that are glossier, I added 2-3 coates of clear acrylic gloss sealer.
I don't have much pictures of this yet but will have them up as soon as I can get some. :D
Best in Show Stage - Journeyman (Anime North 2011)
Best in Show Workmanship - Journeyman (Anime North 2011)