Jane Porter

Yellow Explorer Dress


Last Updated: 10-29-2011

ACCESSORIES: The collar, and the spats are made from a white cotton flannel, lined with white muslin. The belt I bought from the Gap on sale :D. The cravat is made from a purple silk dupioni :D. The gloves are white kidskin leather that I cut short to match her glove length. The hat is a pith helmet I bought and just added a matching purple length of fabric around it.

BODICE : Ordered the TV460 Cuirass Bodice from Truly Victorian. The bodice is made from silk dupioni, and backed/lined with a white duck cloth. It is also fully boned with zip ties :D.

BUSTLE : The bustle is made from the TV101 pattern, and some nice cotton muslin I bought from Joann's. I originally just used some zip-ties for the framework, but upon making my petticoats discovered that they couldn't support the weight of a single petticoat while retaining the bustle shape, so I replaced it with pre-cut bustle wire.

t i m e : 5 days

BUSTLE OVERSKIRT: The bustle overskirt is made from the pattern 1883 August overskirt. It is also made from silk dupioni.

COMBINATIONS: Finished the Combinations! It really should have gotten done sooner but finals hit around then :/, thankfully it worked out really well and I sewed me some buttonholes for the first time :D. With these done I am officially finished with the structural pieces, and am going to start work on the actual dress ^^.

t i m e : 3 days

CORSET : Decided to save some time and money by just using a corset I had on hand for her, it's not exactly period accurate but I think it'll suffice until I can make a period accurate one later :).

SKIRT : The skirt came together surprisingly quickly. It's made from silk dupioni, and it was the first of the main dress I made! I almost had a heart attack when I thought I'd cut it against the grain but then felt much more relieved when I looked it up ^^.

t i m e : 2 days

OVER PETTICOAT : Used the same pattern for this petticoat, and a soft sheer white embroidered cotton for the fabric. Spent a bit deciding how big to make the triangles for her petticoat trim, and decided to go bigger since the parks version of her has pretty big trim :).

I quilted the fashion fabric and muslin separately before joining them all along the bottom. I finished them with another edge of stitching all along each one to keep it in place and flatten it.

t i m e : 7 days

SHOES : Shoes arrived, and they are super awesome! I'm going to wear em around a bit so I can break them in before con :D.

UNDER PETTICOAT : I used TV 171 view 3 for the basic petticoat. I originally bought some nice cotton muslin for it, but due to the amount of fabric I removed from the first petticoat (about 14 inches!), it had to be relegated to a muslin and remade with some other muslin I had lying around :3.

t i m e : 4 days

WIG : Ordered a Jeannie Wig from Arda Wigs in Spanish Brown. Stubbed and made a bun and have discovered that I am terrible at wig-making :3.

C U R R E N T ♥ T O T A L : ~ $ 5oo.oo

Comments: 5

Please log in or register to view comments.


United States


Character Jane Porter
Series Tarzan
Costume Views 7108
Favorites 4
Comments 5
Upload Date 03-19-2011
Debuted July 2011

Copyright 2002-2018 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.