Last Updated: 03-24-2011
More real pics to come!
Well the costume itself is pretty simple. I bought the official shirt from MSPA's store, had the black pants already, and somewhat dissected and repainted shoes I had red. The wig I bought off ebay, and styled to my liking.
Now comes the fun part. The horns are made of some high-density foam board I had lying around, "quilt magic foam board" or something like that. I cut them out and shaved them down honestly with a steak knife and sanded them with a foot file |D Oh the joys of improvisation. Then I painted them with acrylic. Also, I was pointed to some lovely glasses by a fellow Terezi cosplayer, which can be found here http://www.makebelievecostume.com/detail/EL-S82701/Vampiress_BlackRed_Glasses.html
The cane.... prepare yourself for wall of text. So I totally thought that living in a 2-bedroom apartment and no woodshop would mean no more prop-making. But here I am proving myself wrong. This critter is made out of a bamboo stick approx 40in long, "quilt magic" foamboard, and 2 water bottle caps. I measured and marked off the four sections of the cane, and painted the white sections with, I kid you not, White-Out. Then I covered and taped off the white bits to do the first coat of red on the rest. On to the dragon head. This is the foam part. I drew the shape according to this reference [link] and sorta eyeballed the proportions. I left a bit at the point where the head connects to the cane, like a tab/peg/anchor, to fit into the hollow bamboo stick. I cut it out and shaved it to preference with a steak knife (heh) and then sanded it down with foot and nail files. YES IMPROVISATION GO. I also stuck a pin through the tab to give it a little more support. The other end, that circle bit, was two dasani water bottle caps hot-glued together, with a paperclip between them to serve as an anchor tab. Yes that's what I will call them now. I made sure to smooth the excess glue around the sides of the caps with the (hot) tip of the glue gun. Then I glued it all together and spraypainted it red. I removed the paper and tape covering the white, did any touch-ups then, and painted in the white eyes on the dragon head with White-Out (frickin love that stuff). And then I put a few coats of sealer. I use Dresden "Clear Glaze". Uhm... Oh, used electrical tape for the black stripes. Genius, I know. I'm pretty sure all of this stuff can be found at your local craft store. I just happened to have a bunch of it on-hand.
If you survived that bloody wall of ramblings, I applaud you. I am by no means a pro at this stuff, but I do like to share the means that work for me :3
Oh and I guess this character and her cane of awesome belongs to Hussie. Homestuck is the shit. Go check it out at mspaintadventures.com
Please log in or register to view comments.