Gown of 10,000 Pearls
Last Updated: 04-10-2011
This gown went together surprisingly quickly, considering all the beading that was involved.
Sometime early last year, I started researching Italian gowns, and came across this gown on the Italian Showcase at the Realm of Venus - http://realmofvenus.renaissanceitaly.net/yourgarb/2007/Ysabeau.htm
I was instantly in love. I wanted to make a dress based on that design, but with a bit more English styling to it.
I drafted an entirely new bodice pattern for this gown, since I wanted something which a stomacher. I added the beading to the front bodice panels first, then cut out the sleeve pattern and began beading that with the same motif.
The gown itself is pretty straightforward. It's just ALLOT of bead work. At the last minute (day before the faire), I decided that, yes, I have enough time to make the lattice smocked stomacher that I wanted to go with it, so I spend a day smocking a beading and finishing up details.
The gown isn't entirely finished at this point. I still want to add the beading motif to either side of the skirt opening, and to make a lattice smocked cauf to wear with it.
There are lots of fun in-progress pics and a more in-depth write-up of the entire process on my costuming blog - http://biancavonbavensen.blogspot.com/search/label/blue%20elizabethan
Please log in or register to view comments.