wedding dress (volume 36)
Last Updated: 04-29-2011
This has been on my 'to-do' list for a while, but the actual costume construction was actually about 5 days (!) from start to finish. I bought the base dress, a vintage wedding gown from a thrift store over a month earlier, but I had something (my real wedding!) keeping me from working on cosplay for a while. Once it was over, I had 1 week until the con when this was due. My husband had already had his tux commissioned, so I couldn't put it off!
I bought the extra fabric, about 8 yards white organza, 2 yards of tulle, and several yards rayon/cotton lace, on Sunday. I disassembled the dress Monday, then spent the next 3 days creating the pattern and frantically sewing it all back together, with modifications. I added long sleeves, an organza overlay, and a high collar, then made and attached a large bow at the waist in back. The veil was made by satin-stitching the edge of my tulle, gathering it along one edge, and hot-gluing it to a pair of combs. I also arranged my bouquet and my husband's boutonniere, and added silk flowers to the center of the waist bow and the combs of my veil. Most of the sewing was finished by Thursday, but I did piece a few of the flowers together Saturday morning. Overall pretty good! I don't think I've ever put a project this big together in such a short amount of time!
Please log in or register to view comments.