1870s Victorian Gown
Last Updated: 05-18-2011
I made this dress about 10 years ago, so I couldn't tell you what patterns I used or any real construction details. I can't even find the original fashion plate that I based it on anymore. :(
What I can tell you is that it is made entirely of taffeta, with gimp braid trim. In the original fashion plate, there was ruching detailing the bodice and overskirt, but I was lazy and bought a bunch of fringe, which I then stitched on. It gives it an interesting texture, but if I was ever to remake the gown, I'd do the ruching instead.
I've been wearing bits and pieces of this dress with various outfits for years. I finally wore the entire outfit together for a meetup of the DFW Costumer's Guild.
Please log in or register to view comments.