Amaterasu

Gijinka

Ōkami

Last Updated: 09-02-2014


Okami is one of my most favorite video games ever and I've wanted to cosplay Amaterasu for a long time, and only just got around to starting her in 2013. I wanted a design that was simple and looked like it could come out of the game, so I came up with this. Even though all the women in the game wear only kimonos, there would be no way I could pose with Tsumugari in what is basically a tight skirt - and thinking realistically, someone really couldn't fight well in a kimono either.

The kimono is a modified Simplicity pattern. It's shorter than usual just to save on the heat factor. It's made out of twill and fully lined. The 'wing' and red swirls are print screened on.

The hakama I made out of twill following a pattern online. There's a slit in the back where the tail inserts through.

The tail is made out of faux fur, stuffed with polyfil with airbrushed details. The swirls are rolls of faux fur with one side airbrushed black and hand sewn on. It attaches to a belt which I wear under the costume and the tail slips through the hakama.

The ears are made out of trimmed faux fur and minky with airbrushed detail. They're sewn onto the wig, which is a Mugatu from Arda without the pigtails. I absolutely loved the colors of the wig and really liked the idea of her having somewhat curly hair since curls are present throughout her whole design, and I feel like it helps tie the whole look together from top to bottom.

The Devout Beads are cast from resin dyed yellow. I first sculpted one bead out of Sculpey and made a two part mold from Oomoo. Then I cast the 6 beads. They were cleaned up with a Dremel, had a hole drilled through them to string them through, and then I airbrushed the red detail and painted the swirls with acrylics. They were finished with matte finishing spray then put on fishing wire so it looks like they're floating. I made a write up of the process here: http://makeshiftwings30.tumblr.com/post/57390846750/devout-beads-writeup

The base of Divine Retribution is made from pink insulation foam and the raised rings are porous styrofoam. Usually I'd never use porous styrofoam but they had rings in the size I needed, and they looked much better than I'd be able to cut by hand! The knob was bought from Joanns and I used my Dremel to shape it rounder. The rings were glued together and I used paperclay to fill in any imperfections in the base. Then I painted Shell Shock slow over the whole thing to strengthen it (this stuff is totally amazing. It didn't eat the foam at all! I applied it straight on!). I bought the rounds from Home Depot and Joanns and glued them on. Then I used my Dremel to carve in the details. It's painted with acrylics. The 'fire' is layered organza and is sandwiched between the base and another Shell Shock'd layer of fun foam. I drilled straps onto the back of the instrument so I could wear it like a backpack. The straps slip through holes in the back of the kimono and buckles underneath my clothes.

Comments: 1


Please log in or register to view comments.

makeshiftwings

United States



Stats

Character Amaterasu
Series Ōkami
Costume Views 841
Favorites 1
Comments 1
Upload Date 07-06-2011

Copyright 2002-2013 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.