Last Updated: 08-04-2011
You'd think for such a skimpy costume this would be easy, right? WRONG! This was perhaps one of the most annoying costumes I've made so far.
The wig: The wig was WAY too big for my head (I literally mean the band inside) so I had to add some clips on the inside as well as sew the band in about an inch to actually fit around my head. This was enough to get the entire wig plus the ponytail extension stationed on top of my head. I also dyed the wig using speedball ink and alcohol to get it a couple shades darker than it originally was.
The skill clip is made from model magic, acrylic paint, and several clear coats which hardened to keep it from mushing. I just glued that to a big hair clip that I painted white to keep it on the wig.
The scarf is just pink/white fleece with some plain maroon muslin strips of fabric I folded and hand stitched on.
The shorts and top are both patterns I did on my own (they were both made from 2 way stretch pleather from spandexhouse). I added a good bit of padding on the inside of the bikini top to MAKE SURE it did NOT shift throughout the duration of the con...and I succeeded!
The gloves were kind of a wreck that I put together the night before. The actual glove part of the gloves I made a pattern for and hand-stitched (first time making gloves). The bracelets are made from the stretch pleather and filled with batting. My original idea was to use the big flat buttons and put bulbs of model magic on top to give it the appearance of being a big round button/stud. They actually looked REALLY good before they started to fall apart (which only took about 2 hours of actually wearing it) so I tore the model magic off which is why you see that ugly white residue in some pics. I plan on going back and taking the flat buttons off and actually replacing them with painted big round buttons. I'm also planning on actually sewing the bracelets TO the gloves at some point.
The socks are purchased from sockdreams.com. The boots were original plain black boots (no zipper) that I machine-sewed boot covers for. The flames are hand-stitched on. The zipper is made out of 6mm thick craft foam and hand-sewn on to make sure it didn't fall off.
The gun was made by a friend (but I watched him so I know how it was all done!) The base is a 1 inch thick PVC pipe. All the compartments on the gun (the magazine, the butt, the tip) are all made from very dense foam matting (like the kind you would get to line the floor of a gym). We cut the foam with a hot knife and sheeted all of it with styrene. The trigger is a recycled nyko gun for the wii that we just glued on with epoxy. We coated it all in plastic primer/plastic paint.
Please log in or register to view comments.