+ The coat is made of cotton sateen and fully lined. In order to make it work the way it does in the images, I had to make it in two parts, line each part, and then handstitch them together in order to give it the seamless look and not mess up the bias tape. The center is closed with hook & eye because I felt a zipper would be too bulky and visable. All the gold bias tape was made by hand out of gold shantung and most of it was slipstitched on. The little fluer/star designs on the collar and back of the coat are applique and satin stitched.
+ All the gems were cast out of clear resin with a blue dye added in. The little ones were made using the basic paint tray. They are attached to craft foam in order to have a backing that I then sewed snaps to so they can snap close on the coat. The bigger shoulder ones...were a pain in the ass. I made a mold using half a plastic ornament but my molds kept falling apart so I had to make a mold three times before I was able to get 2 successful domes. x_x;
+ The star is craft foam and plastic styrene and snaps on like the resin gems. The shoulder epaulets have cardboard inside of them in order to be stiff enough to hold the weight of the resin.
+ The shirt and cravat were made of peachskin. The gloves and pants were also made of cotton sateen. The pants have a fully functional zipper fly/button. The gold design down the sides is on the sides of the pants and goes all the way down...you just can't see it in any photos because the coat and boot covers completely cover it. x_X; The sash is made of some leftover maroon fabric I had hanging around.
+ The boot covers are one piece and were made to fit snuggly over a pair of Go-Go boots. This was my first time wearing 3 inch heels so my feet were in a lot of pain by the time I took the costume off. The bottom half is made of stretch cotton sateen and has zippers in the back so I can get them on and off. The bottoms have white vinyl in order to better withstand walking on concrete (though I plan to replace this part whenever they get too dirty). The top sections are red vinyl. I have a little bit of wire in the hems at the top so they can point out to the side like his does. The knee pads are shantung and stuffed with polyfill. The stars are appliqued satin.
+ The wig was bought off ebay, an already ready-to-go Takuto wig. But I did have to style it myself with help of a friend. We hung the wig upside down on a wighead and just sprayed the hell out of it to get it the right style. Only had to cut the bangs a little as they were a bit too long.
+ The swords. Oh god the swords. Stupid me decided I really wanted them to light up since I hadn't seen anyone do that before. Problem was I have NO prior experience with LEDs. So a HUGE thank you goes to KaitlynClinkscales on DeviantArt for explaining and showing me how to wire up the LEDs. Without her I wouldn't have been able to do this. I got the idea of the swords themselves from a Stocking sword my friend linked me to. But I did them slightly different. I started with the LEDs, hooked them up, glued them to acrylic rods for the base and support. Then cut out clear plastic sheeting to the desired shapes for the swords, bent the centers, and glued them around at the edges, encasing the lights. There's an opening hidden under each cross-hilt where both the battery pack is so I can easily change the batteries when they die, and where my switch is right above so i can easily turn them on and off with just my thumbs. Then both were spray painted. However I think I used too much on the blue sword and thus it doesn't shine as brightly. But I still love the effect and the expressions on people's faces when I turn them on. ^^ Made it all totally worth it!
Best Friday Craftsman - Otakon 2011