Silent Hill 2
Last Updated: 07-19-2012
James is http://gangsterlovin.deviantart.com/
This one was a challenge because I suck with jackets and I did not have a model to place the clothing on. I took some of Val's measurements and worked from those, as well as checking out his Alex field jacket.
100% made from the ground up. I started with cutting out pieces for the liner and matching them to the outer material. I worked from the back to the shoulders to the front, and then did the bottom part last. The bottom of the jacket as well as the seam with the 3-lines both are wired to help keep the jacket's shape, though it didn't work quite like I had planned. I tried to scale things accurately but my patches wound up way too big and the bottom portion of the jacket is odd because there should be a lot of space under the pocket. Those inaccuracies aside I'm happy with the rest of it. It miraculously fit Val somehow (I thought it had gotten too small) so that was successful at least. It was good practice for me, though I do wish the inside had wound up prettier; I had been hoping to construct it really professionally but I failed on that front big-time. Major thanks to Alessa and Creativeguy's James tutorial on their website, those reference pics are invaluable!
The American flag was bought and the edges cut off (and treated to keep it from fraying) but the rest were made by hand. I wanna thank my adorable little helpers (Ella, Stephanie, and Luisa) who were so eager to help me finish them at the kid's summer camp I participated in this year. They were TOO cute! The lettering on the FronTier patch is done out of the same embroidery floss as the patch itself, but it is coated in modpodge so that it wouldn't separate into the individual threads. The EAST EnD patch detailing is done in the same fashion as the other patch, and the letters are painted PVC fabric cut into the right shape.
Again made from scratch. I barely eked out the front of the shirt and collar from a scrap of fabric that I found at the fabric store. It was dyed more gray and then I used some other gray scrap fabric for the back of the shirt and sewed it all up. I tried to shape the collar very carefully, but in 20/20 hindsight I should have just made a false black shirt to sit under the front of the collar to get it to look just right.
Val tracked down some dark wash jeans, I love the fit!
It WAS working, but I guess when you buy your base parts at the dollar store you can expect them to not work for too long :( I loaded some batteries into an upright flashlight and built model magic around the flashlight save for the on/off switch. I painted it all black and sealed it with shiny modpodge to make it look more like plastic.
Bought at the last minute, and painted black by me. I made the straps that arch around the front/side out of painted vinyl and fashion O rings. Hot glue did not keep those straps down for our Otakon pictures, but luckily Gorilla glue did for the other shoot!
This wig is custom dyed brown & yellow to get nice and golden/brassy blond like James.
Val was wearing them for Otakon but unfortunately they caused severe eye irritation the day of the other photshoot so he had to throw them away.
Made by Val, painted with spray paint and acrylics.
Plywood with nails:
Val drove some nails through a piece of wood and coated the prop with wood stain to match the wood from the game. I LOVE this prop, it looks so awesome in person.
Please log in or register to view comments.