This costume took almost 6 months to finish. There were so many delays in its creation that I almost gave up on it about halfway through.
All the butterflies are screen printed onto the fabric. There are over 30 butterflies over the entire kimono. The white detailing on each butterfly was painted by hand.
The obi is machine embroidered. I created the flower on my computer using the image of Yuuko wearing this kimono and digitized the flower. I then used my computer program to change the image into stitches so that my machine could understand it. I then set to work embroidering each flower. There are about 16 sets of roses and each set took an hour to do. The embroidery is also double sided so that the backside is the same as the front. That way when it is tied in the back there is always a pattern showing. The leaves and vine on the obi are all hand painted using two shades of green fabric acrylic paint. The vine completely wraps around the obi so that when it goes off on one side, it connects on the other for a continuous pattern. The obi alone took about 40 hours to do.
The butterflies on my obi and in my hair were Christmas ornaments that I modified and added. Since I started this costume in January, ornaments were on clearance everywhere and those were a lucky find.
Best Master Craftsmanship of Friday - Anime Mid Atlantic 2012