Super Mario Bros.
Last Updated: 11-09-2011
This was thrown together in 3 days, last minute for Halloween, to attempt to cheer myself up from some tough times I've been going through lately.
MY CRAPTASTIC FAIL EXPLANATION!
I made the vest of of a mens T-shirt pattern I found for free at BurdaStyle. I just made the sleeveholes a tad bit smaller, and altered the front of the shirt.
I do have a problem of keeping it down, it wants to open up, I think this is because of how tight/small I accidentally made the sleeveholes, which I plan to fix.
I added gold trim to the edges once sewn.
The hat was made from a beret and a large circle exactly 36'' in diameter cut out of white fabric, and some elastic. First I bolted the circle down to get a sphere-like shape, then sewed the sides up, then cut 4 holes into it to run the elastic through, then sewed the elastic.
After that, I sewed it to the beret leaving a hole just big enough to stuff the stuffing through. Once I sewed up that hole, I had to hand-sew a few hidden stitches where I made a mistake on keeping the shape 100% sphere-like.
After that I traced a circle from an object found in my house 5 times onto some leftover red fabric I had from a costume I made for someone else, and then handsewn the circles onto the hat.
Last thing I did was the shorts, I printed out a sailor short pattern from BurdaStyle which was about 3 sizes too big for me. Then I measured tightly around my waist and thighs and cut out bands to put for them. I altered the short pattern to be the appropriate width at the waist then extend out at the edges, where I bolted it to the tight thigh pieces.
Bubble shorts were the best looking in my opinion which is why I made them.
I'm really happy with how this came out and plan to have a photoshoot of it pretty soon :)
Please log in or register to view comments.