Last Updated: 04-23-2012
Ever since I retired Sister of Battle, I realised I will need a costume to show up with in some smaller local event. And that is how Miko Sakuyamon, a long-time dream of mine, was born. It turned out to be a relatively cheap costume, all made on a tight student budget. It is also my first one as a milestone of me cosplaying in university years. To be honest, when choosing this project, I thought it will be simple, but turned out to be a lot tougher task than I ever expected it to be; but, as my man told me: "You expected a miko uniform to be easy? Snap out of it woman..."
Made in quite a rush, this costume is as fine quality as it can be; it was literally completed 20 minutes before the event. I would like to thank all of my friends who helped me with it last night. And yes, it is my first costume I literally sacrificed a night for. Surprised I had so much discipline O___O
As many cosplayers of Sakuyamon often wonder about the hair, I used a lot of sewing thread here. Would advise others against doing that, though. Despite the quite neat look of front hairtails, the back looks just bad and I admit it. Gravity doesn't want 28 separated rolls of thread to look neat and untangled. Nor it wants them to look as one big piece instead of a-lot-of-strands. If I ever need to do something similar, I will do wefting. More expensive, but at least it will look a whole lot better.
The helmet wasn't very comfortable, due to some construction issues and the fact I wanted to make it tight-fit; I had to deal with attaching back hair tails separately and it was a nasty business. Accuracy was also a killer here: I struggled for the half-covered head look, and in result had very limited visibility.
In conclusion, the outcome of my hard and quick work was indeed pleasing; sadly, the tails are ruined now, and all I am likely keeping from this costume is the hakama and kimono parts.
Please log in or register to view comments.