Okay, finally going to add a little blurb about how this was built!
The shirt: (The hard part) Basically I started with a tight black shirt as the base so that I'd have my arms covered. Then separate of that, I constructed the vinyl skintight "vest" from scratch. (I made about 5 "test" copies out of cheap fabric before I made a final pattern that I cut the vinyl out with). I made a duct tape bust of myself so that I could work on it while it was in the shape it would be while it was actually on me - this was instrumental. On my mockups, I drew on the positions of the red parts, then cut them out and used them as patterns for the red vinyl. Those were sewn on to the good copy, and the rivets placed in. (For the rivets I actually used split pins or "brads", you can find them at craft/scrapbooking stores) The "vest" also has a zipper up one side to make it possible to get on and off, because it is skintight and not stretchy.
The "vest" is also what the hood is attached to. Now, in a few places I made the decision to attach the "vest" to the black undershirt. This made putting this costume on a little more confusing, but made the final product look a lot better. It is attached with rivets at the red straps on the shoulders, and also sewn around the chest to make that part lie flat and look better.
The final step was attaching the belts to hold the whole beast together, since it is two separate parts. Basically the belts are attached together with the leather pad that sits on your back, and then the top belt threads into Shirt belt loops and the bottom belt threads into Pant belt loops. In the front, I made some hard to explain "double belt loops" that actually attach the shirt to the pants via snaps to stop my belly from showing. (They separate to make it easier to get on and off.)
The pants: These are black sweatpants that I took in at the legs to make them tight and then sewed the red vinyl pieces onto.
The gloves: The bracers are fabric-covered plastic canvas that I sewed on by hand to the wrists of some pre-made vinyl gloves.
The boots: The boots aren't visible in my first photos as I didn't finish them for Tsukino-con. I got really lucky finding some great base boots, then I made all the red parts as separate vinyl pieces that I actually hammered into the soles of the boots using pins (I was nervous that glue wouldn't hold up good enough). The top part attaches to the boots via split-pins at all the rivet locations. The red strap that goes around the back of the boots is velcro-closeable, and I sewed a "belt loop" of sorts onto the back of the calf on the pants that this red strap wraps into to hold the boots up. (Pics soon hopefully).
I think that about sums it up... If anyone has any further questions let me know!
Judge's Choice - Novice Category (Cos & Effect 2012)