Last Updated: 04-02-2012
This outfit was put together for the DFW Costumer's Guild Steampunk Tea. I had already made the striped ruffled skirt, but I wanted to make a bodice and overskirt that would compliment it.
The bodice is based on Ageless Patterns #1006. I had read the blog entries of several people detailing the difficulties they had with the actual pattern, so I opted to buy a Simplicity vest pattern and butcher it instead of wrestling with sizing up a historical pattern. It's made in a black tone on tone seersucker with accents and lining in the same bronze satin as is on the skirt. The buttons are antique reproductions with are slightly off date of the rest of the outfit (about 20 years later), but I liked them so well that I just -had- to use them.
The overskirt is black taffeta with a pleated ruffle at the bottom hem. It's also trimmed with the same bronze satin. There is a waterfall pleated panel on the back of the overskirt, which involved a bit of experimentation, but turned out pretty well in the end.
The hat was made out of plastic canvas, and is based on the "French bonnet" of the 1880s. It has black taffeta and black lace inside the brim. The ribbon decoration on the outside is an inexpensive glitter ribbon from Wal-Mart that I accented with a bit of left over pleating from the overskirt that I made into a loose cockade. There's a bit of bling on the centre of the cockade to give a finished look.
This is definitely my favourite 19thC/Steampunk outfit that I have right now, but I -did- fall into the trap of making everything black and bronze since it was supposed to be "steampunk". I also realized afterward that ALL of my bustle era stuff is black and gold! lol I think next time, I'm going to try something vibrant, like a peacock green or plum purple or something.
Please log in or register to view comments.