Inventory Blowout! Professional quality cosplay wigs 30-40% off with shipping included - Click Here for details

Dave Strider



Last Updated: 04-12-2012

The first thing I did was all the sewing. I worked off a pattern for the pants (any generic pants pattern will do, I used a shorts pattern and just elongated the leg pieces to make them 3/4 length capri pants) and made them out of a heavy-ish cotton. I used a beautiful red silk for the sash and sewed it into a tube, then ironed it down to create the sash. The bandages on my shins and around my chest are all white linen, with about a 6” width and made in the same way as the sash. I’d recommend a stretch fabric for the top, though, and I intend to remake my shirt out of it so that it won’t keep falling down like it was at AB!

The mask was made from molding aluminum foil to my face and taping a long piece to the front to make the beak. I built up the mask using paper mache and removed the foil base when everything was dry. I cut out oversized eyeholes from a plastic party store mask to hot glue it to the inside, which gave the mask a place to sit on my nose and the elastic helped keep it on my head. I sandpapered the whole thing and painted it white, then painted the designs on with red acrylics. The feather mane was made by hot glueing a sheet of red felt to the top edge and hot glueing feathers from the bottom up, finishing off with feather down at the top.

For the wings, I took 6 gauge copper wire and drew it out to the width of the wings I would need, about 6 feet not including the wire loops that would keep them on my back. I took chicken wire and cut it in the shape of the wing I needed (a crow’s wing - make sure to do some research into the shape!) and duct taped all around the edges, including the top to get rid of any sharp points. I hot glued batting to both sides of each wing for a base for the feathers. I then individually shaped about 500 feathers to have clean points and cut off the bottoms so they would lie flat. I hot glued them to the wings working from the outer edges inward, finishing off with feather plumage at the tops. I bought my feathers from and it took about 2 pounds of black turkey hen rounds and a half pound of black turkey plumage. I wore them by binding them to my back with three wide bands of white elastic, which I wouldn’t recommend because I couldn’t breathe and I probably would’ve bruised a rib if I’d worn them all day! I need to figure out a new way to wear them.

The makeup is Aquacolor, which can be purchased at in the black and red I used. I used setting powder and spray and it was perfect! I also spirit gummed some extra plumage to my forearms. Black nail polish helped give the illusion of “claws”.

For the shoes (I don’t have them on in a lot of photos because they were very delicate), I took some flats I had and painted them black with acrylics. I then shaped claws out of paper clay onto them and let them dry, then hot glued them a LOT to the shoes. I painted the claws then added a layer of paper mache to the entire shoe so the claws wouldn’t fall off as easily (one claw still did, but that was because I was being a derp in a crowd). I’d recommend several layers of paper mache to make them stronger! I wore black tights under my pants and leg bandages to match the shoes.

Comments: 2

Please log in or register to view comments.


United States


Character Dave Strider
Costume Views 1072
Favorites 1
Comments 2
Upload Date 04-12-2012
Debuted Anime Boston 2012

Copyright 2002-2017, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.