Ever since I decided to start my Dissidia Terra costume, I knew I was going to have to add some other FF6 characters to join me. I asked my brother which character he would be most interested in, he picked Edgar, so I started researching. I wanted to keep a similar design to the game sprite and Amano drawings, but I also wanted to embellish the costume. My goal was to design a Dissidia version of Edgar if you will and this is what I came up with.
The most difficult part of this costume was the armor. I came up with a floral design based off of a bluebell that grows in the desert (fitting right??) and used that as a motif for all of the armor pieces. The armor is funfoam with a layer of wonderflex over it. The wonderflex was covered in gesso, sanded smooth, and then I glued cut pieces of funfoam over the wonderflex for the raised designs. I am pretty sure I cut out well over two hundred mini pieces of foam for the boarder around the base of the chest armor.
The red gems are all made with a resin mold cast. The gem in the center of the torso armor was a custom mold I made.
The cape is a navy blue suede, lined in a darker blue material, and a heavy upholstery trim was sew all the way around the bottom. I appliqued the gold and blue triangles all the way down the sides of the cape, which was one of my favorite parts of the Amano design.
The shirt and pants are a medium weight black twill. The boots started out as a pair of dress shoes and I made a custom boot cover out of a light beige moleskin.
The waist wraps were a fun project. Since I already knew I was working on a Dissidia Terra and a Sabin, I thought it might be fun to have something to tie all three of us together. I found these lovely Japanese cotton prints online and I knew I had found what I was looking for. I even found matching designs (but different colors) for Sabin and Edgar. Naturally, Edgar has the blue and green, while Sabin has the blue and orange.
The belt was made by cutting out pieces of funfoam and gluing upholstery suede all the way around the foam. It looked a little plain at first so I added a resin gem and fancy swirls made with model magic.
The wig originally started out as a short men's wig and I sewed long wefts into the base to make the ponytail. The bows were made out of the same suede as the triangles on the cape (Edgar must match of course!)
Overall, I am very pleased with this costume. The armor was certainly a big challenge, but I think it came out looking awesome in the end. :)
FanimeCon Design Award 2011