Hamel

half-mazoku, manga version

Violinist of Hameln

Last Updated: 02-07-2006


I had started learning to sew when I tackled this costume, but I was still pretty shaky on it.

First, the parts I did not make myself (but I still put work into them):
- My friend Heather made the cowl for me. I sewed snaps into it so it would shut, and velcro to hold the big gem on the front.

- I bought the pants at a thrift store, rehemmed the legs, and painted the belt carriers.

- The shirt was a black T-shirt from Michael's. I cut the sleeves off and handsewed the white trim onto the armholes.

- The black spandex gloves were bought, but I did some pretty heavy alterations to them. They were originally showgirl gloves or something, and they went up to almost the armpit. I hacked off the fingers and the excess arm length and rehemmed it all by hand, and cut out the holes in the backs of the hands. I then handstitched the white spandex trim onto all the edges.

- The demon feet were originally rubber chicken feet from a costume/joke shop. I stuffed them to make them sturdier, put shoes inside to make them walkable, added the clay talons onto the toes, and repainted it all.

- The claws and chicken feet got damaged after AX 2001, so when I wore the costume again in 2002, I was a more "normal" Hamel, with a cape instead. The black cape was something I'd already had (bought at a Ren faire), and I wore it under the white cowl. I didn't have time to make one.

The parts I did make myself:

- The horns on the wig. I'm still proud of those curved ones. Believe it or not, those things are PLUSHIE. The surface was coated with Elmer's glue to seal the fabric, and then painted with acrylic paint. (Model Magic tips were added to make the horns look sharper.) The ridges are Model Magic. The vertical horn isn't as good, it was styrofoam covered in latex and paint, and the paint kept vertically cracking no matter how many times I tried to fill it in with latex or paint. (I probably should have used the glue on that too.) The curved horns were sewn onto the wig, while the straight one (being styrofoam) was glued on. The straight horn got a little wobbly after a while.

- The chest gem was half a plastic egg shape, paint, Model Magic, and velcro. I was stupid and filled the entire egg half with the clay, so the gem is ridiculously heavy and weighs the cowl down.

- The claws were Model Magic. Since they were worn and molded over my top finger joints (and were so HUGE), I had no use of my hands beyond carefully holding things between flat palms.

- The codpiece was also plushie. The fabric was coated in glue and paint to be stiff and look more plastic like. It was held up by velcro and leather strips.

I also made the white spandex wrist pieces; the skin-tight vinyl leg covers; the knee guards (which were ugly); and the belt gem (which broke in transport to con and had to be fixed in the bathroom).

There was some ghetto stuff going on, and I had many more learning experiences because of this costume.

Awards

Anime Expo 2001 masquerade - Honorable Mention, Novice Craftsmanship (part of a group entry, with 6 other Violinist of Hameln cosplayers)

Comments: 0


Please log in or register to view comments.

Evil Bishounen

United States



Stats

Character Hamel
Series Violinist of Hameln
Costume Views 755
Favorites 0
Comments 0
Upload Date 02-07-2006
Debuted Anime Expo 2001
Retired 2002

Copyright 2002-2013 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.