Lydia Carlton

The Earl and The Fairy

Last Updated: 05-30-2012


As much as I like the story of The Earl and The Fairy, it bothers me a bit that it's supposed to be of a Victorian setting, but seems to be a mish-mash of Edwardian, Victorian, and improv. The dress I liked has exactly one reference (one of the covers) and isn't really fleshed out - it's a generic suggestion of a dress - so I decided to run with it in a more historically accurate direction.

The chemise, bloomers, slip/bustle, and demi-petti coat are all made from light and breezy muslin, while the dress itself is made from fine suiting. Since I wasn't following the reference exactly, I wanted to at least tie back to elements from the story. The first story of the manga has a lot to do with the ocean, so I wanted to keep the dress its original green, but more of a sea-foam green rather than the bright green from the cover. The bodice is lined with cotton and interlined with denim. Steel boning was used in the bustle, while plastic bones were used in the bodice since the bodice fits over a well-boned corset. The corset is a bought one, but will be replaced in the future - boning the bodice and bustle gave me enough confidence to give making a corset a shot sometime in the future.

All seams, including those on the ruffles, are flat-felled. All ruffles were hemmed and hand-gathered, in additional to the hemming and pleating of the slip and skirt. The chemise features sleeve and side gusseting as well as supplemental facings on the inner seams. There's a couple of pockets in some of the seams since I really, really, really hate having to hold things.

All lace was crocheted by me using size 10 cotton thread and a 1.65mm steel hook. The waist and sleeve trim is adapted from a book of edging patterns I have, but the front dickie is improvised. I'm not very happy with it and will try again if I have time/decide to revisit. Since Lydia is a changeling, has such a strong Fairy connection, and likes flower gardens, I wanted the lace motifs to be organic, so there's various flowers: daisies, violets, and dandelions.

All of the garments made here are a mix of Truly Victorian patterns, a Vogue pattern, and improvisation. There was a lot to do with this dress, but none of the individual steps seemed particularly hard/fiddly.

The underlayers were made over a month or two in Fall 2011. The outer dress and lace were made over a period of 2 weeks... the same 2 weeks that I was moving. I really don't know how I pulled that off. I got everything done except the sleeve trim and making my back ruffles removable via buttons prior to its debut at Animazement.

Awards

1st place - Journeyman - Animazement 2012

Comments: 1


Please log in or register to view comments.

Spookloops

United States



Stats

Character Lydia Carlton
Series
Costume Views 340
Favorites 0
Comments 1
Upload Date 05-30-2012
Debuted Animazement 2012

Copyright 2002-2013 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.