This costume was a huge undertaking. I've wanted to do this costume for years and years now and finally felt this year my still level was in a place where I could take this sucker on and do it's design justice.
Everything was drafted from scratch, including the bustle hoop skirt that gives it it's shape (In game it's flat in the front, round in the back so hence why I went with that style of hoop). I had to use pvc plumbing pipe as the hoops because of the weight of this thing (I think the total dress minus the wings is around 30ish pounds?)
The cream is a pin-tuck taffetta so that I had to guides to bead on for the hex-pattern that the pearls run. In totally there is around 5,000 individual pearls and around 3,000 gold crystals. The crystal design on the bottom of the skirt was something I came up with after my crystals were smaller then expected and cause I wanted to jazz up the simple design of that part a bit.
The feather pads hanging from the front of the skirt are hand made, and all the purple parts in general were hand dyed and painted.
The sleeves I ended up drafting three times to get right, I wish they were perhaps a touch bigger but I'm happy over all with them. The bronze on the bodice and sleeves is hand draped and hand sewn. In fact a lot of this costume was hand sewn in the end just cause it allowed me to get more delicately into small places to attach various things. The dupioni that I used for the bodice was originally supposed to be a lighter color but came in darker then expected; however it grew on me.
Mostly the dress is dupioni, and taffeta; I wanted to make sure that I used fabric's with dimension and texture so that it lived up to the artwork. The jewelry I also went this road, I just couldn't get my casts of the art accurate one's to look like metal or all that great so I decided to make custom jewelry out of various necklaces and earrings that I gutted instead.
This was my first time every making wings, but I've wanted to try my hand at it for aaaggeee. I'm super happy with how they turned out and how surprisingly easy they were too make. They are made from two pounds of orange turkey rounds that I painted gold.
The only thing I'd probably change would be the 'mermaid' sheer layer, just cause I never got the exact look I wanted. And the orange sherbet fluffy bits on the front cause I did those a few times with various fabrics and never did get exactly the look I was going for.
Best in class Masters - Anime North