Princess Mononoke (Mononoke Hime)
Last Updated: 10-12-2012
This is one of my first cosplays!
I wore it to NDK 2012, and now I'm adding some things, including the cape, tooth necklace, and mask, before I wear it again for Halloween. Unfortunately, I didn't take any work-in-progress pictures of the base outfit, but I'm doing so for the improvements/new parts.
The tunic is an ivory linen or linen/rayon mix (I don't remember...). I took it apart after the con and am going to line it so that the dark blue of the dress doesn't show through.
The dress is the same kind of material, but dark blue/navy in color. Seeing as San's dress is different colors at different times of day and whatnot, I decided to go with dark blue rather than dull purple or grayish something.
The dress is also fitted, even though I'm sure that San, as a girl living in the wilderness, wouldn't have had such a human-made–looking piece of clothing. ... I wanted to try to make a dress with darts, an invisible zipper, and pockets without using a pattern, and I also wanted it not to bunch up under the tunic. I ended up hemming it, too, even though San's often looks ragged, so that I could throw it in the washing machine and even wear it on its own (not as part of this cosplay).
My first booties were kind of a rush job, and I messed up sewing around the ankle area, so I had to struggle to get my feet through...not fun. Plus, they were shoe covers, so I had to wedge my shoe under the elastic band and then try to fish out the tongue of my shoe later once my foot was in the bootie...urgh. Not sure if that makes any sense, but maybe I'll post a picture that can explain better. (If only I hadn't screwed these up...!)
Anyways, the original pair was made from a slightly-too-dark beige fake suede. I'm remaking these as real moccasin-style boots from a light tannish deerhide~ they're going to be so comfortable!
As for the other pieces, let's see...I made the crystal dagger necklace from paperclay coated with undiluted watercolors (this was tricky, because paperclay easily reverts to squishiness when it comes in contact with glue-y or watery substances), a scrap of red felt, and some red suede cord.
The earrings were a lucky find — a pair of big shell discs — that I simply attached to basic earring findings. Not the most accurate, but much easier than trying to figure out exactly how to get the shells to stay on my ears. Plus, the findings are covered by my hair.
The armbands and headband I made from scraps of the navy dress fabric. There's elastic inside so they stay on, but they aren't tight; I didn't want the fabric to look wrinkly. I scoured the internet and a couple of local stores to find beads that I thought would suit the bands.
Whew! Anyways, despite the boot-covers, I really enjoyed being San at the convention~ definitely going to wear this costume again (and again!).
A lot — at least it felt like a lot to me — of people asked to take my picture...one girl even ran up and gave me a hug. I met an Ashitaka, too, but the picture is really blurry =_="
Please log in or register to view comments.