Last Updated: 03-20-2013
I was very determined to use the right fabric for this costume. From the concept art, I came to the conclusion that it was sweater knit. Unfortunately, I live in Florida where nobody really ever feels the need to sew with that stuff, so the only place I could find it (After touring all the local apparel fabric stores) was a Joanns while I was on vacation in Michigan. It was extra special, but I found it!
Again from concept art, I realized the leotard underneath the white shirt either had an entirely open back, or had to clasp in the crotch. I didn't want a clasp in the crotch, so I made the leotard dip halfway down the back and come to a point in the middle. The puff sleeves as well as the black sleeves are attached to the leotard, and the cap sleeves are attached to the overshirt. Both turtlenecks have interfacing in them, but in the case of the leotard's collar, the interfacing could not be sewn down or the fabric wouldn't be able to stretch and get over my head, so the interfacing is floating, unattached, between the layers.
This was the first time I've ever made a shoe cover, and I kinda think I did okay. Looking forward to doing better in the future. Also, the hardest thing I have ever sewn is those gloves. The vinyl trim on the cut-out window is ridiculously difficult to get into place and every pin used leaves permanent holes so it isn't like you can just pin it every quarter inch, either. Another Millia cosplayer actually stopped me at Metrocon to look at my gloves, because they'd been the hardest part for them, too.
I did not use a wig, because wigs, especially at that length, get tangled and knotted and are extra-heavy... And there are things you can do with real hair that you can never do with wigs, like, for example, smack somebody in the face. Ben pulled out the extra-fast shutter speeds and had me flip my hair around to catch it in mid-air. Those are some of our favorite pictures from the con.
Please log in or register to view comments.