Sakura

Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle

Last Updated: 11-18-2012


*Complete!*

The skirts (2):
The skirts were the first things I made. I used a hand drafted circle skirt pattern that I had from a previous costume and added a gradual train to one of the 3 sections of the skirt. Once cut, they both were hemmed, and given a waistband. Each skirt was 7 yards of fabric, totaling it at 14 yards-just in the skirts alone!

The train:
The train started with 4 yards of white satin, lined with pink satin, and then edged in cherry blossom brocade and given a gold edge. The triangle trim was hand folded, ironed, and sewn by using only a 3 inch double satin ribbon. The trim was then sewn onto the edges of the train, panels, and belt. A total of 25 yards of ribbon was used for this entire costume.

The panels (3):
Like the majority of the patterns for this costume, my panels were cut from scratch. Each panel was then given an applique on the ends by using hean-n-bond, and sewn on with an applique stitch (my first time doing so). They were then sewn together and given a gold bias trim with the handmade triangle trim at the points.
On the sakura flower applique is pink and gold gems glued and sewn on to create the pattern of the blossom.

The belts(2):
I used a medium weight vinyl to use as the base for my belts. They are fully lined and also have the same applique technique as the panels, including the cherry blossom gems. They secure with velcro and hooks&eye closure in the back, disguised by the bow.

The Bow:
The bow was simple. Just by free cutting out a rectangle shape of fabric, and two equal sized "tails", sewn together and given a gold bias trim. Then gathered to make the shape of a bow and sewn into place.

The top:
For the top (loosely) used a pattern to get the general kimono style shape, without all the extra kimono bulk. The pattern had to be re-sized and given the brocade cherry blossom trim, and gold bias trim.

The sleeves:
The sleeves were the hardest part. There is a total of four components to the sleeves: the shoulder "poof", straight section of the sleeve above the elbow, the bell sleeve with an applique, and the long "flounce" that is fully lined and given the cherry blossom and gold bias trims. They are all lined and have elastic in two sections to hold all the weight up. Approx 5 yards in each sleeve.

The headband:
For the headband I created 14 flowers, 7 in the front, 7 in the back.
There is a total of 70 individually folded petals to make up my 14 flowers, 5 petals each. They were all cut into a 3 inch square, folded, hand sewn together, then each petal was ironed to give it its final shape.
For their stamen, there is a total of 70 individual beads and wire to go onto each petal of my 14 flowers. The wires were cut to size, bent, and glued to hold onto the beads. Once finished, all were set in place with silicone and let dry.

Awards

Best in Show, Shadocon 2012 Best in Show, Holiday Matsuri 2012

Comments: 7


Please log in or register to view comments.

KayeCosplay

United States



Stats

Character Sakura
Series
Costume Views 846
Favorites 10
Comments 7
Upload Date 11-14-2012
Debuted Shadocon 2012

Copyright 2002-2013 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.